šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kathryn B
    Participant

I am new puppy mommy and want to give the best to my little lhasapoo, so I am reading up on foods, nutrition and so forth. Am I getting this right: A 72% fat to protein ratio is not as nutritious as a 50% fat to protein ratio, right? Why would there be a “highly recommended ” food with a 72 percent fat to protein?

#152415 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Kathryn congrats on your new little puppy. The ratings are for the WHOLE of the brand. I stick with enthusiastically recommended for what’s it’s worth. But I only get the proteins/flavors for that brand that have the 5* rating. I use Stella’s and Primal freeze dried with Stella’s kibble in rotation of proteins and grain free and also grain inclusive. I got my two Chihuahuas’ SLOWLY used to this rotation. So if you notice DFA rates Primal enthusiastically recommend even though SOME of the proteins/flavors such as chicken is rated low. I believe it’s because it’s higher in fat. These brands also have lower carbs which I like in a food. Hope this helps.

#152608 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Puppies have a higher fat/energy requirement. Some will say 50% FPR is ideal for adults. If you look at the GA on some dry foods for puppies (growth), you will notice they have a higher fat content.

#152613 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Check with your vet but I believe this would be a good choice for your puppy, Fromm has other puppy formulas too, stay with grain-inclusive.
    https://www.gofromm.com/classic-puppy-dog-food

Stay away from boutique brands. Your vet will explain why.
    BTW: Feed the pup whatever he has been eating for at least 2 weeks to a month, then gradually transition to the new food.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.