šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Boosmom

We have a 16 month old English Bulldog and his eye stains seem to be getting increasingly worse. I wipe his face daily with baby shampoo and warm water and have tried wiping with hydrogen peroxide but nothing is helping….any suggetions??

#34408 Report Abuse
    checker

Are there any possible environmental things that may be causing this? Cleaners,smoking and such things.It could also be an allergy and try process of elimination to help.
    Sincerely

#34416 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I have a FB friend with an all white English Bulldog and he has allergies. She has kept them at bay with Natural Balance LID foods. I’m not sure if she’s still feeding that brand, but there are few that he can eat. I’ve seen pics of him lately and he still looks great.

#34421 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I just found out a friend of mine whose dog always has eye stains/eye infections read an article somewhere about washing the doggy door to prevent eye infections. She did and her dog’s eye stains are starting to clear up. Go figure!

#34433 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Hmm..very interesting! I need to wash our doggie door, but keep forgetting. I’ll do it tomorrow for sure!

#44101 Report Abuse
    usofluffy

Someone on FB recommended no dog food with red food dye, and using bottled or distilled water. I just heard that today so I’m going to try that; both my Pekes have the brown, rusty eye stains and I haven’t found anything yet to get rid of them.

#44104 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

I tried everything– parsley, distilled water, eye wipes, food with no dyes, grain-free, hypoallergenic, yeast starvation diet, on and on. Finally I broke down and bought Tylan powder. 1/8 tsp twice a day for 3 weeks– and my mini poodle’s eye stains are gone and have been gone for weeks now. This is the same antibiotic used in Angel’s Eyes, and previously I wanted to avoid antibiotics, but he was miserable with the scratching and eye rubbing. Buying the Tylan by itself is cheaper than the Angel Eye’s. The taste is horrible and bitter but my dog didn’t seem to care.

#44106 Report Abuse
    usofluffy

Thank you for the information, Jackie B. I will keep Tylan powder in mind. I’ve noticed how expensive Angels Eyes is so it’s good to know there’s a less expensive alternative!

#44109 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

My dogs have no staining now. I have 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and the girls had been pretty good for awhile, but not perfect. Rupert came to me with some large eye stains and paw staining. I have recently been feeding Wellness Small Breed kibbles (a variety of Sm. Brd. Senior, Sm. Brd. Simple Salmon and Sm. Brd. Whitefish). I got Rupert going on 3 months ago and started this kibble 2 months ago. I also top with Wellness canned and a very few others, Simply Nourish and Weruva but mostly Wellness. I also am using Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus and a supplement called Firm Up, which is dried pumpkin and apple pectin. The only treats they get are Wellness Yogurt biscuits at night before bedtime. I use their kibble the rest of the time. At the Hospital during Therapy Dog visits Laverne and Hazel get banana chips and Zuke’s minis (which I plan on replacing after the bag is empty). ALL staining is gone from everyone. It use to be when I groomed/brushed them and wiped their eyes Hazel would be great, Laverne would have one eye that still came away with a little brownish stain and Rupert would be getting a little better but not totally clear. Now, after 2 months of nothing but feeding this way, all staining is gone from all dogs. Even Rupert has none on his paws or otherwise. I’m thrilled! I’ve always loved Wellness products but the kibble size was too big for my Cavs. When they came out with these new formulas for Small Breeds I immediately bought them and I’m so happy…..now I just hope they continue to come out with more Small Breed flavors.

One note I would like to make, though, is that I think that getting the dogs’ guts back in peak shape is what helped the staining the most and I feel that the Digest All Plus and Firm Up were instrumental in doing that. Laverne had prior anal gland problems that are not happening now either, and Rupert had a ruptured anal gland right after coming to us which has healed great and I’ve seen no signs of returning (I keep praying about it, lol!).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.