šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dick W

My mother-in-law has a Jack Russell/wiener mix that is allergic to just about everything. We’re looking for a dry food that is grain free (tons of those) AND potato/pea/garbanzo free. She feeds raw food in the morning but would like a dry with a better variety of nutrients.

Dose anyone know of a dry that meets these restrictions?

#89464 Report Abuse
    Denise R

Our Brittany (who passed away last month) was allergic to all of those ingredients plus peanuts. After years of reading labels, then settling on a food only to have it change formulas… The last dry food we fed her was the PetSmart store brand, Authority. Of course you need to read the labels because they weren’t all safe for our dog but they had dry & canned food that met her needs. She & our other 2 dogs did really well on that brand. (For a while the only brand that we could find was Pedigree.) their fur got shinier & thicker, stools were smaller, etc. PS I am in no way associated with Pet Smart. I just spent over 16 years of doing everything possible to make life more comfortable for my dear sweet girl

#89465 Report Abuse
    Dick W

Thanks, I forgot to mention he can’t have rice either…I looked at all the PetSmart labels and they either contain peas/rice/potato or a combination of the three. Maybe he’s destined for raw food 24/7.

#89466 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

Please take a look at the Annamaet Salcha’s. There are 3 different Salcha varieties. My Shiba Inu eats the chicken-turkey-duck variety and is doing very well. She is allergic to beef, lamb, corn, maize, fish, peanuts, wheat and anything else stored long enough to develop mold of any kind. Her strongest reaction to other foods caused constant ear infections. While she has done well on this grain free food, I have had to put her on a weight reduction diet due to a heart valve condition. She is currently eating 1/4 cup of the Annamaet dry food, a smattering of poached chicken on top and 1/4 cup of frozen chopped green beans for a first course for breakfast and dinner, with an additional 1/4 cup frozen chopped green beans for a quick follow up after each meal. Mid day she gets two servings of frozen green beans and a Dasuquin chewable. She is losing weight nicely at a slow pace and finally has no itching, no ear problems. I will increase her diet when our vet approves it. She was 23 pounds when we adopted her almost two years ago and is now 19 lbs. Just a few to go. She is a 10 year old little girl who was rescued from a puppy mill and is very happy in retirement.
    One online provider has Annamaet reasonably priced as a subscribe and save choice.
    Good luck.

#89488 Report Abuse
    Liz D

Hello!

My 8 year old GSD also has extreme allergies. We had him tested so we know food and environmental triggers. He takes injections for the environmental.

We had been using Orijen for the past 2 years however, with the formula change, it is triggering a reaction again. While I’m not seeing anything odd on the ingredient list, something with the new formula isn’t working.

His major trigger is Brewer’s Yeast followed by beef, lamb, grains, venison, rice, potato, milk, kangaroo and rabbit. The fish mix (63) was below the standard for marking it an allergy but marked higher than chicken (36) or turkey (33). Pork was a zero followed by duck which is 12. (90 being the benchmark to make it an allergy)

I thought the Annamaet would work until I saw Selenium Yeast which is another name for Brewer’s Yeast. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

#89489 Report Abuse
    anonymously

My dog with environmental allergies (receives Allergen Specific Immunotherapy) does well on Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea as a base. See Chewy.com for reviews.

PS: She can’t tolerate Orijen, my terrier likes it, however with the changes coming up and the price increase he may go back to Nutrisca, he does well on that also, including the Chicken dry.

#89494 Report Abuse
    Liz D

Thanks for the suggestion! The Nutrisca looks good as far as triggers go but it says its isn’t “complete and balanced.” I will run it by my vet as well. I may end up cooking for him in the interim. Sad that cooking his food is cheaper than Orijen! I just need to find something to take when we board them in November. Cooking isn’t an option then!

Our poor guy has so many allergies he has 2 vials of serum. He’s even allergic to us and himself (dog and human dander)!

Hopefully this will work out.

Thanks!

#89507 Report Abuse
    Liz D

Just a quick follow up: after a visit to my vet our older GSD is on Science Diet RX. Cost is the same as Orijen so not a big deal. What is a big deal is our 1 year old GSD is now chewing herself on the new Kentucky formula. I spoke with Champion and they said the only change only in the new formula was more meat. Really?

Old list of ingredients from our dog food:

INGREDIENTS
    Boneless chicken*, chicken meal, chicken liver*, whole herring*, boneless turkey*, turkey meal, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon*, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams*, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium.

All ingredients marked with a * are fresh and preservative free.

New list of ingredients from Kentucky plant:

INGREDIENTS
    Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, yellowtail ļ¬‚ounder, whole eggs, whole atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, chicken heart, turkey heart, whole atlantic herring, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, dehydrated mackerel, dehydrated chicken liver, dehydrated turkey liver, whole green peas, whole navy beans, red lentils, chicken necks, chicken kidney, pinto beans, chickpeas, green lentils, alfalfa, chicken fat, natural chicken ļ¬‚avor, herring oil, ground chicken bone, chicken cartilage, turkey cartilage, dried kelp, freeze-dried chicken liver, freeze-dried turkey liver, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, apples, pears, pumpkin seeds, sunļ¬‚ower seeds, zinc proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried biļ¬dobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

This is taken directly from both the Canada and USA websites and the difference is dramatic in apparently nothing is “fresh and preservative free” anymore. In my opinion this is not the same food. I will be switching our baby to something different. Sadly I cannot purchase the Canadian product directly here in the US.

#89512 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If the dogs raw diet hs meat/bone/organ/tripe in it, feed that food only. You don’t need a dry food.

#91177 Report Abuse
    Jennifer C

Pioneer Naturals is grain and potato free, that is what I went to in order to eliminate as much as possible what could cause a yeast problem in addition to allergies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.