Excessive Pooping

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Excessive Pooping

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pat N

I have a 3 month old standard poodle puppy. I’ve had her a month and started out with the food the breeder recommended (TLC which is not available in stores) She pooped so much and so often I became worried and wanted to switch over to grain free and more salmon. Switched to Nulo freestyle puppy salmon & peas. Pooping is still excessive and I feel she’s losing more than she’s eating. Vet apt is next week. Any thoughts on a quality puppy food that might bring pooping down to what should be in normal range. She’s only getting fed 2 times a day and she’s going 5-6 – very large piles. Thanks

#109227 Report Abuse
    Jane E

Pure Vita ,Nature’s Logic or Fromm Puppy Gold

#109228 Report Abuse
    Leslie W

Have you tried mixing some real sweet potato in with the food? Did you wean her slowly onto the new food from her original? May have to switch her back to an easy on the tummy food like chicken until tummy problems stop then go to a richer diet but I would see if the sweet potato helps may take a few days. Put about two Tablespoons full at each meal with food. Must be drinking normal amount of water as well.

#109229 Report Abuse
    Leslie W

P.S. Sweet Potato must be cooked. (cooks quickly in microwave)

#109232 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Is a standard poodle considered a large breed? If yes, they have special nutritional needs.

#109234 Report Abuse
    Leslie W

Yes, Pat indicated it is a “Standard Poodle” puppy so it will be a large dog so puppy should be on a large breed puppy food. Wellness, Orijen and others have large breed puppy food. For now I would look for a Chicken base with maybe sweet potato until tummy issues calm down. Preferably Grain free.

#109237 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

If you can, get a poop sample to your vet right away so the fecal test results come back before your appt.

Puppies normally poop a lot as long as the poop’s consistency is formed & not diarrhea. Follow the Bristol Stool Chart for comparison. All puppies should be fed the correct amount split over 4 meals round the clock or as far apart as you can manage. Offers easier digestion & all day energy. Then 3, then 2 meals. My 4.5 yr olds eat 2 meals per day. If I present the whole 2.5 cups in one sitting, they won’t bother finishing it.

If you have some extra money, I highly recommend doing an allergy panel test so you know which ingredients to avoid when choosing food.

#109292 Report Abuse
    Pat N

Thanks for all the feedback. A lot to consider. Yes she’s drinking a lot of water so no problem there. My vet had indicated (with my other dog) that chicken can be a real problem with dogs and on the list for top allergies. My groomer also said the same. So I was switching to salmon for her coat and omega 3’s. But I’ll look into Fromm’s. I’ll go back to 3 times a day for feeding. While very smart, she’s got the puppy short attention span unless into trouble which is very frequently. Then very single minded. I favor grain free if possible. Switched my cats to grain free and better quality a year or so ago and my other dog as well. I know it’s better for them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.