epilepsy and how to prevent

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health epilepsy and how to prevent

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yvonne h

my chocolate lab mix started having seizures 3 months ago, already he had 4. My vet wants to start medication for the convulsions, but I want to try something different, anybody has suggestions? I am cooking for him,making thick soup with meat,vegetables, eggs,cheese, he loves it.,I stopped buying dry food at Costco.
    At night I give him 1 tsp of honey, I read somewhere that is good for his sugar level. all his seizures are around 2am and it kills me to see him on the floor shacking, it usually lasts 2 to 3 minutes, for for me is an eternity.
    Holistic treatment involves I believe acupuncture, I dont think I will go that way.
    I really need advise.

#90040 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Seizures are a neurological disorder. Food won’t help. Supplements won’t help. Medication prescribed by veterinarian that has examined and diagnosed the dog helps and may prevent the brain damage and suffering caused by untreated seizures.

Check this blog for science-based veterinary medicine http://skeptvet.com/Blog/

#90041 Report Abuse
    anonymously

From one of my previous posts:

Seizures in canines are often idiopathic (unknown cause) and genetic. It’s neurological. Like a brainstorm that will occur at certain intervals, of course sensitivities could trigger, things like thunderstorms can lower the seizure threshold.
    Probably best to avoid unnecessary additives and chemicals and make sure the dog is getting adequate exercise.
    If he has more than 1 seizure a month the vet will advise medication, this is necessary and will help him.
    Uncontrolled seizures can lead to brain damage, not to mention the suffering and confusion the dog experiences.
    I had a dog with seizures that lived to old age on a daily low dose of phenobarbital. Listen to your vet regarding diet recommendations, I didn’t avoid any particular foods. However, a simple ingredient food might make sense. I like Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea
    Also, ask your vet about a rabies vaccine waiver, he may qualify, if he is diagnosed with a neurological disorder.

#90048 Report Abuse
    yvonne h

tks.I wanted to go to a holistic vet but I have the impression it will be a waste of time and money.I have no time to waste and is awful when you see your dog having convulsions.
    My son suggested to change his diet and to cook for him, which I am doing. I will wait 15 more days and see if a miracle happens,if not, Sacha will start medication.What I noticed is that he is not as happy go lucky as before, he looks a little tired all the time, or am I seeing things. thank you again.

#90049 Report Abuse
    anonymously

You’re welcome. How old is the dog? I find idiopathic seizures start when they are young adults (9 months-1year). Of course, a healthy diet, exercise, keeping weight within normal limits will help, but it won’t stop the seizures.
    If they are occurring more than once a month and or are severe, I would not hesitate to start medication. If you have any doubts, you could consult a veterinary neurologist, but usually the regular vet can treat this.
    It doesn’t change their personality if they are on anticonvulsants, not from what I have observed, anyway.
    PS: When the dog has been stable for a while, maybe a year, you can work with your vet to taper the dog off of meds for a trial period and see what happens…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.