🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vicechairwelca
    Participant

The recent article discusses the weight that a Canadian celebrity has put behind a new protein source developed entirely from a species of maggot.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/starting-out/conversation-with-david-suzuki-leads-to-maggot-based-animal-feed/article15114182/

The celebrity and biotech producer are marketing one of the products as a source of protein for pet food. Ignoring for an instant the ethical deficit inherent with the proposal and the conflict that cheap protein sources for those who could benefit from a dog or cat and may be drawn to pet ownership on the promise of cheaper pet food – would it be possible to explore the organic chemistry of animal proteins for our carnivorous pets. I cannot see a rationale reason why the consumer should accept the position that lowly maggots can provide the nutritional value of higher level animal meat sources for their pets (unless their pet is a chicken or lizards). I thought your group may be interested in this latest claim about a pet food ingredient development that is apparently under development.

#27202 Report Abuse
    Vicechairwelca
    Participant

Here is also a great article from a veterinarian discussing the biochemical needs of canines. http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_focusing_on_protein_in_the_diet?page=2#.Um8-8cu9KSM

#27203 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve heard bugs are a good source of protein. I wonder what this is going to be labeled as. Maggot meal? Although for me, I’d prefer it over feather meal that Royal Canin is developing. Now I wouldn’t feed a maggot food day in and day out just like I wouldn’t feed any other kind of dog food long term. I’ve seen the dogs occasionally eat grasshoppers.

#27264 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I’ll feed my dog liver and rabbit heads and raw bloody stuff, but I don’t think there will ever come a day when I will feed my dog maggots! #YUCK!!!!

#27268 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I remember back in elementary school, we made worm cookies one day. I think it resembled raisin cookies, don’t recall how they tasted though! Can’t be that bad if Andrew Zimmern likes bugs!

#27272 Report Abuse
    Jamie08
    Participant

That article seems like it is gearing the “maggots as a protein source” thing more toward use in a feed for chickens, etc.- not so much a pet food ingredient. This is a pretty popular concept right now in the feed industry where more sustainable protein sources are being sought after- since all of the corn is being grabbed for human uses (biofuel, etc.). I know our pet chickens love finding larvae. 😉

How they labeled it if it were in pet food would depend on how they processed it, and if they could sneak it in under the name of some “animal” product (maggots ARE animals…). I think most people would not want to buy kibble with maggot meal for their pets… I know I would rather not!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.