Eating Too Quickly/Not Chewing

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Eating Too Quickly/Not Chewing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shelley919
    Participant

Hi All!

This is my first post here. We have an almost 5 year old greyhound (Dyna) that weighs about 65 pounds. Right now, we are feeding her Castor and Pollux Organix Chicken and Rice Formula for adult dogs. She absolutely loves the food. After discovering this website, I tossed out the Purina Pro Plan and tried first Blue Buffalo and then Innova, both of which she didn’t like. Now I finally found a great food that she loves, but she’s a big dog and the kibble is awful small. We have a stainless steel ball that we put in her bowl to try to slow her down and force her to chew, but that’s not working all the time. I have also tried feeding her on a cookie sheet, which seems to work but isn’t really a long term solution. I actually emailed Castor and Pollux and received a response within an hour and they told me their Ultramix for Large Breed Dogs is a little bigger, so I went and check it out and it is smaller than the size of a dime. Does anyone have any suggestions without me having to switch the food, because she loves it so much and I know it’s good for her. If I do end up having to switch, does anyone know of any of the 4-5 star brands that make a larger kibble? Preferably something other than Blue Buffalo and Innova, as she showed almost no interest in them.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

#14177 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Shelley919 –

As someone else with large dogs (bloodhounds), I can tell you that if you have a speed eater I highly doubt switching to a larger sized kibble will slow the dog down. I use portion pacer balls – they help a bit, but sometimes don’t solve the problem for very determined speedsters. You may want to try a Kong Wobbler, an IQ Treat Ball or a Buster Dog Maze Bowl. All can be found on Amazon.

#14182 Report Abuse
    Shelley919
    Participant

Thanks so much for the tips! I have one of those stainless steel balls in her food now, but I had not heard of the others you mentioned. I will look them up for sure. She did better last night, we mixed in some plain pumpkin in with her food and the fact that it was moist seemed to slow her down a bit.

Thank you!

#14278 Report Abuse
    anniebug
    Participant

i use the kong wobbler & its amazing. my dog is also lazy & very food motivated so anything that makes her get up off the couch & make her work for her food & use her brain when she gets it stuck somewhere is awesome. before that i just used a planet dog orbe ball but the kibbles fell out vey easy & i want to make her work a bit

#14281 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

This is the third post i’ve read about your dog being lazy. Do you take your dog for walks, play games inside?

#14314 Report Abuse
    anniebug
    Participant

yes we go for walks she also comes to work with me & spends the day greeting customers & playing with people. she can & will be playful but just in general she is a low energy dog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.