๐Ÿฑ NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dog_Obsessed

Hi everyone! As many of you know, I have been transitioning Lily to Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Lamb and Lentil formula. She loves the food, and her stomach hasn’t seemed upset with the transition, but she has been trying to eat things on walks the last few days. Sometimes they are plants or weeds, other times they are random things in the dirt that I can’t recognize. She hasn’t been doing this around the house though. The Fromm is a bit lower calorie, but not enough to make that much of a difference that fast. For dinner last night and breakfast this morning I just gave her the old food, but it hasn’t seemed to make a difference. She also got groomed on Sunday, so maybe having less fur has to do with it? She didn’t start it until Wednesday though (We started the transition Monday.).

I also have another bag of a different formula of the food she has been eating, Nulo, and a bag of Nature’s Logic Venison. If the problem is really just her feeling full then we can probably deal with it by feeding green beans or something, but I am worried about the food being deficient in some nutrient. We are running out of her old food, we only have a few days left. What do you think I should do? Should I keep her on the Fromm and see what happens? Go back to Nulo for a little while and then try again? Just bag the whole Fromm idea? Thanks!

#63570 Report Abuse

I know when either of my two girls do a lot of grass eating the food is not working. I change it right away then.

#63571 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, that was my impression too. I just want to make sure it really is the food, and not some other cause.

#63572 Report Abuse

I just got a bag of the Fromm Lamb and Lentils to try. Will be a while before i try it. I have so much food that i have to use up first.

#63575 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When mine start grass eating, I give a seaweed, spirulina, alfalfa, or some other supergreen supplement. Since I started giving supergreens all the time, nobody has gone back to grass eating. Gideon used to graze like a cow.

If she is trying to eat non food items, it could be a zinc deficiency.

#63576 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks BC! Does Perfect Form count as a green supplement?

If I do decide to bag Fromm completely, which it sounds like I might have to do, do you think Chewy will give me a refund? This won’t impact my decision, I’m just wondering. It was only $12.99 anyway so I could just take a loss.

#63577 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I was adding to my post as you posted.

Remind me again what the top ingredients are in PF.

#63578 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I have noticed Bruno doing this in the summertime, when he was on Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (chicken/poultry based) first, and then Back to Basics Open Range (red meat and organ based). They are both high-quality foods so I was not worried about him not getting good nutrients, and his stool output did not seem abnormally large for me to think that the food was not being absorbed. I just didn’t know what it was, but then I figured, maybe it is because we always did our walks/exercising right before eating, so he was getting hungry by then, and was just picking random grass stalks just cause? Not sure, but I didn’t do anything about it, and now that the grass is all yellow and dry, he doesn’t do it anymore. We don’t exercise like we used to either though, so I don’t know if that is a factor. Can’t wait for the weather to warm up just a bit… I really prefer working out outside rather than in a gym, plus, this way I can work out with my dog! ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Naturella.
    #63580 Report Abuse

BC Do you give them that supplement everyday?

#63581 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No, Perfect Form doesn’t have a supergreen supplement in it.

#63582 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dog_Obsessed, I would try adding a green superfood to Lily’s Fromm before I scrap it. But that’s just me, I am always trying to salvage food, unless it makes my dog sick for sure, like the NVI Rabbit did. But I will give NVI another chance next year, lol.

#63583 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@BCnut: The ingredients are: Papaya leaf, plantain, slippery elm, organic pumpkin seed, pectin, papain and fennel.

@Naturella She has sometimes done it when we walk he before meals in the past, but now she is doing it all the time. On Saturday I was walking her with my neighbor’s dogs, who love to eat grass. By the end of the walk she was doing it too. She didn’t do it afterward though, so we thought maybe she was just thirsty, because it was a pretty long walk.

#63584 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t do anything every day, except chores. But they do get it most days.

#63586 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would try a supergreen and see if that takes care of it. Then you’ll know. Supergreens have all kinds of trace nutrients in them that dog food companies are not required to put in dog food, so often dogs are low on those.

#63587 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Also, I forgot to mention that there are a lot of mushrooms around here, so I’m worried about her eating one (or something else harmful), especially at night when it’s hard to see what she’s sniffing at.

#63588 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I feel stupid at this moment, what’s a super supergreen? Is that a supplement or just a kind of green?

#63589 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dog_Obsessed, like the Nut said, it is not one specific kind – it could be any of these, or a combination of them: seaweed, spirulina, alfalfa, chlorella, and others. Just look on amazon for supergreen or green superfood.

#63590 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Also, at night, when we walk Bruno, we use flashlight apps on our phones so we can see. I want to be able to pick up after him, see where I’m stepping, and see if he is trying to eat weird stuff.

My complex has 2 nature trails and one of them has chanterelle mushrooms on it – can’t wait for spring/summer/fall when they will grow again, lol! ๐Ÿ™‚

#63591 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s nutrient dense dark green veggies like spinach, alfalfa, seaweed, spirulina, wheatgrass. I order them from Swanson’s in 1 pound bags and mix up my own. I give 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs body weight.

#63592 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I get Starwest Botanicals organic. They are really good for people too. I mix it in OJ.

#63593 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thank you!!! I will try this! And thanks everyone for all the quick replies!

#63594 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You’re welcome, lady, we got you! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Let us know how it goes with Lily! ๐Ÿ™‚

#63595 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, that Starwest Blend looks good for me to eat too! ๐Ÿ™‚

#63596 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Starwest has some good products. HDM turned me on to them.

#63597 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Okay, so here’s the plan: Tonight I realized that we are insanely close to being out of the old food, so I opened the other bag of Nulo and fed near half-and-half. I also gave her some Perfect Form with the wet food, to make up for all the changes. I will keep her on the new Nulo until she is stable, and then try to re-introduce the Fromm. If she starts it again with the Fromm, I might try the super supergreens, or just decide this isn’t the food for her. If the issue persists even she n she is off the food, then I will talk to the vet about it. Again, thanks to everyone who replied!

#63600 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I buy Ark Natural’s NuPet Granular Greens.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics