šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey J

Our adult puggle and cairn terrier eat the same diet, currently Iams pro active health for mature aduts. We used to give Purina weight control. They are both healthy dogs according to the vet, but they both pass gas that requires people to leave the room (!). On a typical night each dog ‘passes gas’ every 15 minutes or so. Both dogs also each the poop of the other, to the point of standing at the ‘exit’ and eating while it’s warm… GROSS! So between the gas and the breath, we are losing our love for these guys!

We have tried everything we have heard of to stop the poop-eating— adding Adolfs meat tenderizer to the food, giving them pills from the pet store that supposedly stop the behavior, TRYING to pick up their waste ASAP (which is difficult when they are actually waiting for it to drop!).

I’m going to get them a more highly-rated food…. but is there any food or type of food that reduces gas production, and also reduces the likelihood that another dog will eat the feces?

#83860 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have had a dog or two over the years that was a feces eater (coprophagia)

The only thing I found that worked, was to follow them around with a pooper scooper when you think they are due for a bowel movement, scoop and discard immediately, out of sight out of mind. After awhile they stop turning around to look for it. In my experience, it doesnā€™t matter what you feed them. Sometimes puppies will out grow this nasty habit as they mature. It is what it is. You cannot let these dogs alone with their feces.

Regarding the excess gas, I assume you have checked for anal gland blockage….

PS: Do not free feed. Feed at the same time, twice a day and you will be able to predict when the dog will have a BM.
    Have you checked the search engine here? /forums/search/coprophagia/

#83863 Report Abuse
    anonymously
    #83865 Report Abuse
    Jeffrey J

Yes– vet says both are completely healthy. They see the vet regularly– he says it is ‘behavioral’.

#83872 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

The only way to really stop poop eating is to pick it up as soon as they go.
    Neither food you’ve fed is very good. I assume your dogs are seniors and/or need to lose weight. Senior dogs don’t need a senior food; most of them are too low in protein for senior dogs, the exception being Orijen senior.

If they need to lose weight, look at Annamaet Lean or Wellness Core reduced fat. Both may help with the gas; you can try a probiotic as well.

#83886 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Adolph’s Meat Tenderizer comes in 2 different varieties. One is primarily Papain, the other MSG. The one with papain may or may not work, depending on the reason the dogs are doing this, but the one with MSG definitely doesn’t work, I think it actually makes the problem worse.

For my dedicated poop eater, diet change worked over night. In fact, when I babysit a friend’s dog that feeds cheap food, he goes right back to eating their dog’s poop.

#83903 Report Abuse
    C4D

Changing their diet to a better rated food should help with the gas. Take a look at some of the 3-4 star foods on DFA. I do like the foods suggested by InkedMarie, but if they are older dogs and have been on low quality food their whole life, you will need to do a very slow transition, no matter what better quality food you switch to. I never feed my older dogs senior food. If your dogs are overweight, choose one that is lower in fat and make sure you are not overfeeding them. If this doesn’t help with the gas, you might try to switch to a different protein.

Sorry I can’t help with the poop eating. None of my dogs have ever done this.

#83934 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Papain is also found in pineapple, I’ve heard feeding some pineapple to the dog can stop the poop eating. Worth a try, if nothing else your dogs get some nice fresh pineapple as a treat. I’d definitely change their diet to a better quality food, too. As C4D said, be sure to do it slowly to avoid GI upset.

#83935 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jeffrey J-

My dogs have this disgusting habit too. While I agree picking it up as soon as possible is the best way to stop it, it isn’t always possible. A supplement that really helped with digestion and gas for my pups was Vetri Probiotic BD made by Vetri Science. You can buy it from Amazon, Healthy Pets and/or Chewy. It contains probiotics, digestive enzymes and ingredients to help soothe the intestinal tract.

I also think that switching foods is probably a good idea. I believe it’s best to rotate a little anyway. My dogs do very well on Whole Earth Farms Pork, Beef and Lamb recipe. Try to feed something that is a different protein and carb from what you have been feeding. For example, if you are feeding chicken and rice, try beef and potato.

Here is the link to check out the Vetri Pro BD: http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900877120

Best of luck!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by crazy4cats.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.