šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wanda B

Rescued Bichon mix, have had problems with her eating since I got her Oct 10 She is 1.3 years old. Owned by an old man and crated most of the time. Have no idea her eating pattern but was on Kibbles and Bits. Have tried Natural Balance, Purina Beyond and Purina One Select (most recent). She just doesn’t seem interested and I don’t want to feed her crap. I’m used to using Avoderm with my pack, they all crossed the bridge over the fall and winter. But it is getting hard to find here. Am open to any and all ideas. Do not want to make the situation worse by changing foods but am afraid I already have. Have also used Kirkland dry but won’t buy 40lbs for a 12lb dog.
    Thank you in advance….this is my first puppy in like 30 years…have always rescued older dogs.

#72128 Report Abuse
    jella

When I had to keep changing dog food for my lab with allergies (runny nose, blood shot eyes, sneezing,) so many in the last two years I would scramble eggs (yolk and white) in a paper bowl under one minute in microwave then cool in refrigerator, then mix in with the new food. He would eat everything but poor thing haven’t found a dog food yet just joined this site. Finally someone suggested blood allergy testing. Results are back but it seems all dog foods I have found so far will either put white potato or rice as an ingredient. He is allergic to both. I will hope others will help me find something fast. If you make it more than one egg just adjust the time on the microwave I think I do 2 eggs like 1 min. 15 sec. They get no grease or oils this way if you use a paper bowl. My lab has had eggs mixed in since 5 weeks old with his puppy food. Hope this helps.

#72132 Report Abuse
    jella

They have proven that eggs are good for the brain, muscles, etc. They don’t clog the arteries either. It is the best people food for breakfast for humans so that is why I decided to give it to my dog as a puppy. You might have to hand feed a little egg with the dog food not much as you get the puppy used to it but I think this will work for you. Egg and a couple of bites of dog food. Egg and a couple of bites, again until you think she is almost full. It worked for Hoss as a puppy.

#72134 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Seems to be more of an underlying medical issue and not food boredom. If you’re able to, I’d suggest that your pup get a wellness exam with a vet that includes fecal & blood testing. Only because 7 months is a very long time to not have a healthy eating routine. Without an analysis, it’s hard to suggest a food since we don’t know what’s going on.

Have you tried soft canned food yet? Worth a shot.

#72166 Report Abuse
    Wanda B

I am one of those dog people that does a ‘senior exam’ even on a young dog every year. We just did blood,chem panel and stool. Still need to capture urine but everything was perfect so I don’t suspect it’s medical though I so appreciate your comment. I just have no idea how she was fed with her former owner. She was purchased from a pet store in PA so I do suspect she was from a puppy mill….and like I said barely out of her crate. He was 86 and fell over her and hurt himself. Should never have sold this kind of dog to him but what do they care? I was mixing canned with her kibble in the beginning, but she just stopped eating all of it. Purina Beyond canned salmon was a huge hit until the second can….very frustrating. Thanks again, Riley.
    Sheryl, I will try the eggs! When my dogs were under palliative care, two of them at the same time, I had food issues with my Lucy, a BC Shepherd mix. This situation brings all of that back to me and I think I tend to panic a bit. But I want her to be happy about eating, you know? And, she’s not happy. I’m using a treat ball right now and that seems to work but finding the right kibble is a tough one. Thanks!

#72193 Report Abuse
    Wanda B

SHERYL!!!!! Omg, the egg worked….Just fed her. Did the egg in the microwave, chopped it up pretty good and gave her 1/2 of it. Gave her a piece or two to try, she liked it and then mixed it in with the kibble in a BOWL and she ate all but two pieces of kibble. I sure hope this continues….many many many thanks!

#72200 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yay!!! Fingers crossed that it will continue to work and that you may be able to use a couple of different mixers for variety eventually.

#72209 Report Abuse
    Wanda B

Thank you, crazy4cats! I’m crossing my fingers that dinner will be as successful as breakfast! Yay!!! is right!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.