I am not sure if this topic has been written already…I have read some articles that chocolate are poisonous to dogs especially the darker one’s, from what i read they contain an alkaline “theobromine” which is I believe is a form of caffeine and would result to rapid hear rate which is fatal. They say to make the dog vomit by giving them 1-2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide only once. My question is if your dog survived the the ordeal will it be a permanent damage on their body? or if the dog survives all is well?
It actually takes a good bit of chocolate to do permanent damage. The biggest danger to most dogs is that they will develop a taste for chocolate and start seeking it out, thereby increasing the likelihood of getting too large a dose.
It is something like 1 oz. of milk chocolate per pound of body weight to do permanent damage, a quarter that for dark chocolate, and a tenth that for bitter chocolate.CyndiMember
I had a dog that ate an entire bag, wrappers and all, of 100 grand bars (they are chocolate candy bars in case you’ve never heard of them). He didn’t vomit, have runny poop, nothing. For like a week after I kept finding pieces of the wrappers strewn throughout his poop, but that was about it. I would imagine that something like that would have made some dogs sick in someway, but not the dog I had. Those are my favorite candy bars! Man was I mad at him! Lol!
Thanks Patty Cyndi for the quick reply… I just had to ask the question 🙂 My nephew always comes to our house during the weekends and really loves chocolate (shes 4 yrs old btw), usually she has one with her given by her parents as her snack 🙂 I myself am not fond with sweets since I’m diabetic. I haven’t notice my dogs are eating them secretly though or my nephew is feeding them. I just got worried as I read the articles about it. BTW i just saw an article about a thousand pets just recently died due to eating a chinese made dog food 🙁 so sad….. I have nothing against chinese products but its just sad….InkedMarieMember
This takes me back to 2001 when I had three dogs get into chocolate. Three dogs, two adults, one bottle of peroxide, two trash cans. It wasn’t a pretty sight.
I had mine get into Amdro and I wasn’t taking any chances. Three GSDs and a beaglex, vomit everywhere, and 2 of them kept trying to eat it again immediately. What a nightmare!!pugmomsandyParticipant
The only bad experience a foster has had was he had an obstruction from about 10 or so candy wrappers and had to have surgery.dogspotindiaMember
Chocolate contains an organic compound known as “theobromine”.The notable side effects of theobromine in dogs includes: diarrhea, vomiting, increased urination, muscle twitching, excessive panting, dehydration, digestive problems, and rapid heart rate.
from what i’m reading that sounded like a headache and powerless if something bad happens to them.. i hoped all went well afterwards. patty is dogspotindia a bot? his like a wiki 🙂
Yes, dogspotindia is a spambot.
lol, i’ve never encountered a spambot before 🙂
If you ever see a post where they spew facts, often unrelated to the question at hand, don’t seem to notice what others have posted, and have a poor concept of grammar, then you probably have come across a spambot before. Dogspot and dogspotindia randomly show up here.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.