šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jaime v

Hello,

My dog is experiencing some problems with his anus, after he goes to bathroom it pops out a little and some tissue is exposed. I have taken him to the vet and she said everything looked fine and the muscles may have just stretched. She said to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnā€™t get any worse. She also recommended I change foods to a easily digested food or give him fiber to soften his stools and make passing them a little easier.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high fiber or easily digested food?

He is currently eating Taste of the Wild

Thanks for all your help!!!

#40616 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I’m not sure about a high-fiber food, I think both Dr. Tim’s and Nutrisca had over or exactly 5%, something like that.

But, you can always add some canned pumpkin (the plain one, not the pie filling stuff) to his meals, or maybe some flax seed meal. Or some of each. Maybe you could look into added probiotics (from plain yoghurt, plain kefir, or a pill), or digestive enzymes to help with his digestion.

#40632 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

Adding moisture to the diet would help soften the stool. If he is eating dry kibble, either change to canned or gradually work up to 50:50 dry and canned food. If you’re feeding canned food and the stool is still too hard, you could try adding a small amount of liver to the diet. That softens the stool and is extremely beneficial in other ways!

Dogs are not really built to eat a much plant fiber. However, if you wanted to add psyllium husk (Metamucil) this acts as fiber and is relatively innocuous. I agree with Naturella’s comments about adding probiotics and enzymes :).

Tabitha Thompson, DVM CVA
    http://naturalalternativesvet.com

#40690 Report Abuse
    Jaime v

Thanks for all the advice!!! I will definitely start to encorporate this into his diet!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.