🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary C

Need help with four-month-old male Maltese puppy food choice. Breeder recommended 2 tablespoons Iams puppy dry kibble with 1 teaspoon Iams puppy canned puppy food every other day. Recommended baby carrots for snack. Late afternoon – early evening meal to consist of 3 tablespoons kibble – until he’s 8 mos. This just does not seem to be enough for Gus.

Have been feeding less kibble and more canned. Do not have much trust in dry food. Think canines should eat meat. Suggestions please – and ASAP. Thanks. Mary

#78244 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I have a 9 pound poodle mix who does well on 1/4 cup of kibble and a tablespoon or two of wet food or chopped up cooked chicken breast, twice a day. Occasional chicken liver (broiled) as a topper instead, or chopped up cooked lean meat.

I give an occasional bite of chicken or something as a snack after a walk, carrots are okay, but I would just use the regular ones, the baby carrots are treated with something?

I don’t remember the exact amounts when she was 4 months, I think I fed her 3 or 4 small meals per day and tapered down to two meals per day when she was about 6-7 months old.

I like Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea for dry (base). I like Wysong for canned.
    She’s a healthy girl at 7 years old, except for her environmental allergies :-/

PS: Start brushing his teeth every evening, see YouTube for how to videos, small breeds have lousy teeth.
    You will learn what amounts work best, dogs have different metabolisms….my 20 pound dog eats only a little bit more per day.
    If you don’t see the pup going to the water dish, add a splash of water to meals, some dogs don’t drink enough water. These small breeds are vulnerable to bladder stones down the road.

Tips: http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pdf

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.