šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hwhalen
    Participant

I’ve been giving my 4lb, 2 year old, healthy Maltese Royal Canin Xsmall Adult” dry food as the breeder recommended that brand since he was a puppy. I’ve tried others including Merrick (which he would not eat at all). I’ve been very leery of all foods given all the recent issues. Recently I was introduced to Evangers Grain-Free dry food via a boutique dog shop. He loved the sample he tried and the treats. I’m just wondering a) should I move away from Royal Canin since it had under 3 stars rating; b) would Evangers be something suitable for this breed and size; c) which of the grain free dry is best? I’m very nervous about trying new foods and of course like everyone wants to give my dog what’s best. Thank you.

#26820 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Look into Amicus and Nature’s Logic, Nutrisource small/med breed puppy, Nutrisource grain free Lamb, Nature’s Select Hi-Pro, Brothers Complete Beef, and Nature’s Select grain free (this looks almost identical to Evangers grain free). After he’s been eating mod-high protein foods for a while, you might also try some Instinct and Back to Basics High Protein, or Core small breed. These are the smallest kibbles I’ve used. Feed a variety of foods. No need to pick just one. Evangers has had some issues in the past – stealing electricity, a food testing for the wrong protein as it was labeled. I cross out gluten (Royal Canin) from my list of foods in general. http://dogtorj.com/what-is-food-intolerance/gluten-intolerance/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.