šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    freshley

I’m trying to switch my pup to adult food and it seems like every good quality dog food I find that is reasonably priced and fairly easy to get locally, I find out is being produced by Diamond. After all the recalls, and how they handled the situation, I don’t feel like they can be trusted. Seems like they all go to them so they can save a few bucks, problem is the quality goes down as Diamond doesn’t seem to give a crap about quality.

#35131 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

What stores do you have available? There are lots of foods not produced by diamond…

#35133 Report Abuse
    freshley

I have the normal chain stores (petco, petsmart & petvalue)(live in PA).
    I had my previous dog on Canidae and he’s on Wellness puppy now. I had read that Canidae is being produced by diamond but they opened their new plant so they are now making some of it in their plant now.

I was going to try Solid Gold or taste of the wild but they are made by diamond. I was then thinking of chicken soup for dog lover as it’s reasonably priced and has a 4 star rating but the reviews from people about it are not very good.
    I was going to try blue buffalo but there was a rumor that they were being bought by Proctor and Gamble who also has had issues with recalls.

#35134 Report Abuse
    teslarocks

I don’t know about Wellnes or Canidae. But I do know Victor is not made by Diamond. Spoke with the owner and they seem to have high standards at their mill, as well as being well reviewed her. I feed Nature’s Logic but unsure who makes it.

#35135 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Although, personally I don’t recommend Blue Buffalo I’m not sure about the statement of being bought by P&G. Maybe, but P&G did buy Natura a few years ago. Anyway, you are right that quite a few of the more cost conscious foods are made by Diamond. Some foods that I feel are good foods that are not made by them are: Earthborn, Victor, Dr. Tim’s, Fromm Gold (I feel the 4Star line is expensive), Annamaet, Wellness, Holistic Select, Precise, Nutrisource, Merrick (even though I don’t like them now), 4Health grain free only (TSC’s house label, the grain free is made by Ainsworth but the grain inclusive by Diamond). Also, some of these may not be local to you but if you’re not adverse to ordering online sometimes you can get deals and free shipping. I order my Annamaet, Dr. Tim’s and Victor online.

#35142 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I don’t believe Merrick is made by Diamond, is it? Blue Buffalo isn’t either-i don’t hate their wilderness blend. Simply Nourish isn’t manufactured by Diamond either, and I actually like them as far as PetSmart options go (its an exclusive for them) the Source is pretty nice, gets 5 stars on this website too.

#35143 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Hi-Tek Grain Free is made by Hi-Tek and has not had a recall. Also Nature’s Select is made by Mid-America Pet Food. And Ainsworth makes Pure Balance and Back to Basics. Tuscan Natural is made by Pyramid Pet.

Merrick makes their own food and they bought Castor & Pollux.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by pugmomsandy.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by pugmomsandy.
    #35147 Report Abuse
    freshley

I just found out from Canidae that even though they built their own manufacturing facility, some is made by diamond, performance pet, and Hampshire pet.
    Yet again it seems like anyone can make dog food as all it takes is a recipe and then have diamond make it for you.

I’m looking for something at least 4 stars and is less than $50/30lbs.
    I may either stick with wellness or try earthborn if I can find it.

I’ve heard that Merrick went down hill recently and even switched recipes without telling anyone.

I looked into Victor and there isn’t anyone around that sells it.

#35148 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I buy Nutrisource fairly often. I’ll buy the small/med puppy and the grain free lamb recipes.

#35150 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I would try Blue Buffalo (Wilderness is my favorite of their blends, but its also pricey), Fromms, Precise, or Simply Nourish (Source is my favorite of those, still under 50$ a bag)

If you want to spend more, of course you have Acana, Orijen, Wellness…all things that are solid and not made by diamond

#35213 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Do you know who manufactures the Canidae Grain Free Pure?

#35217 Report Abuse

It depends where you live. In Ny I was told it is the south carolina diamond plant. You need to call Canidae and ask bad err d on your location.

#35235 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I thought someone had mentioned before that Blue would not divulge which companies manufacture their foods.

#35254 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s what I keep hearing.

#35269 Report Abuse

Blue Buffalo? Last thing I heard was Simmons for canned and CJ Foods for the dry, but I think they may have more than one for the dry products.

#35270 Report Abuse
    freshley

I have a follow-up email to them to try and figure out what products they make in-house and what diamond and the others make. I can’t believe these companies would trust their reputations by having someone else produce their product.

#35298 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Blue Buffalo is an approved food on the Whole Dog Journal’s list of dry foods for 2014. It does say they are co-packed. Last I knew they had about 6 different co-packers! Not sure anymore, though, as I don’t feed it….I have in the past, though.

#35369 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Only a small percentage of dog food is made by Diamond. See if you can get Annamaet or Dr Tims. Ordering online will give you a whole list of foods to order and prices are usually better. Look at Chewy.com, wag.com, Petflow.com and petfooddirect.com are good places.

#88032 Report Abuse
    Andrewa F

I know this is an old forum, bit had to reply after shopping for new food for my pup today. Frankly it irritates me when companies won’t disclose who makes their food. Why the lack of transparency. They claim it’s proprietary, but it is really about concern that customers won’t like what they hear. I’m sorry to hear that canidae is made by diamond since I bought a bag today and the shop owner told me they have their own plants.

#88036 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Canidae does have their own plant called Ethos. I’m not sure if all of the production has shifted to that plant or if Diamond still makes some of the formulas. I would email Canidae directly and ask specficially about the one you bought.

#88037 Report Abuse
    Andrewa F

Thanks, I’ll contact them. From what I have read only some of their food is made in their own plants.

#88301 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Hi!
    Try VeRUS. It is definitely NOT made by Diamond. VeRUS has NEVER had a food in recall and they’ve been making food for more than 20 years. The food isn’t stinky or sticky. Their website has a lot of great information and if you fill out the contact form they’ll have a person email you and ask questions before they send out samples. They have dealers in 3 PA cities or you can order the food from PetFlow or a couple of other online places (not Chewy, however). This is really, really good dog food. I went from making my dog’s food to buying VeRUS and I’ve had NO complaints.

#109168 Report Abuse
    Dee B

@freshley–do you still live in PA? No matter if you don’t–chewy.com is located in your state and you can get whatever brand of food you want from them, delivered to your door. They ship nationwide, not just PA. You won’t have to deal with the big box pet stores and their limited selections. Granted, no company is perfect, referring to chewy.com. I use to live in Michigan, now in South Carolina. I have been a customer for over 5 years. Tried Pet Flow when chewy.com stopped carrying Fromm Family Foods, <that’s how I found chewy.com, (for 3 shipments) but their products did not cure my dog’s allergy problems, as I couldn’t get FFF from chewy any longer,
    so I changed back to Natures Variety. And I personally found Pet Flow and their website an inconvenience to deal with so went back to chewy. Unless something drastic happens, will probably stay with them as long as I have pets. I know your responses on here are a few years old, but thought if you haven’t heard of them by now, I would put this out there for you. I hope it’s helpful in some way. Blessings to you and yours. DB

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.