šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cranberry
    Participant

What are your thoughts on Dr.Harvey’s fine ground, Sojos grain free, and THK preference? I am having trouble deciding on which one to feed my dogs(6lb and 11lb chihuahuas). They will not be eating raw, so which one do you think is best? I am also worried about the sugar content. My smallest one goes into a hypoglycemic seizure(?) if she doesn’t eat in the morning. Currently they are eating kibbles and bits which has so much sugar that it is making me worried about changing.

While I have a topic, what are your favorite canned foods? Last time I fed dr.harveys/sojos I ended up using canned food as the meat, so I’ll probably end up doing that again. The two brands that stick out to me are Addiction and Wellness 95%.

#22521 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Cranberry –

I have used all three of the above mentioned pre-mixes and liked them all. Two other pre-mixes that I’d recommend (my two favorites) are Urban Wolf and See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix. Just as with foods, you shouldn’t use the same pre-mix continuously. I’d personally recommend switching pre-mixes after every package, this will ensure that your dogs get a varied and well-rounded diet.

My favorite canned foods are Nature’s Logic, ZiwiPeak, Addiction and Nature’s Variety Instinct. I also like Tripett as a topper (it’s not a balanced canned food – just green tripe).

To clarify – you’re using canned foods as the meat portion of the pre-mix recipe? You shouldn’t do this – the diet will not be balanced. Balanced canned foods are complete and balanced foods than can be fed as is – balanced calcium to phosphorus ratios and balanced vitamin and mineral levels. Pre-mixes contain calcium, vitamins/minerals (either in whole food or synthetic form) and, often, fruits and vegetables and are designed for the addition of boneless meat. If you want to feed a cooked diet utilizing a pre-mix you will need to buy boneless meat from the grocery store, cook it and add it to the pre-mix in the recommended proportion. You could feed a canned food in addition to the food prepared using the pre-mix and boneless meat but you should not use a canned food as the meat.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #22525 Report Abuse
    Cranberry
    Participant

okay. Thank you so much! I didn’t even think about the canned foods being balanced.

#22529 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Read the nutritional adequacy statement on the can. Most canned will conform to AAFCO standards for maintenance or growth/all life stages – this means that they are a complete and balanced food that can be fed on their own. A few canned foods are designed to be toppers only (i.e. fed along with a balanced kibble) and the nutritional adequacy statement on these cans will say “intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.