šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Weimcrime

I just noticed my elderly (11 yrs) weimaraner getting terrible dandruff. He’s been on Earth Options Chicken Optimal Weight recipe for a couple months now, because I was trying to detox him and my other dog from nutro lamb & rice. Anyway, I also just recently washed him for the first time with TropiClean deep cleaning shampoo (the berry one). I’m switching him to a salmon based recipe from earth options and have started the transition period (just started it tonight, so it’s not that) Any idea which is more likely to cause the dandruff?

#32781 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Do you use any salmon oil? Do you live in a climate where the heat is on inside?

#32784 Report Abuse
    Weimcrime

I live in Vancouver, BC. The heat is on inside, but I’ve never noticed this before. I also haven’t noticed anything with my lab. Although it’s 100% possible that could be it. I believe his food has omega 3s and 6s. I noticed a huge improvement in his coat/skin when I started feeding Earth Options

#32798 Report Abuse
    A.Sandy

my dog never has dandruff, and his happened overnight he is on victor hi-pro and he started having very dry skin so I found out that he had worms and after I dewormed him he was back to normal with in days. So double check stuff like that.

-Ana
    @pupfacts
    pupcatnutrition.com

#32805 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Feed raw chicken quarters for a couple weeks, bet it will go away.

#32811 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Did the dandruff happen right after the bath? My lab gets dandruff after her baths too (the only shampoos that don’t cause dandruff are WAY too mellow….they get zero cleaning accomplished). Since I only bathe her once every 1-2mo, the dandruff doesn’t cause any redness/irritation/itching, and it goes away in a day or two.
    If it’s not bathing, maybe adding some fish and/or coconut oil into his diet? I do that for my dogs if their coat seems to be getting dry or flaky. Like whenever I know I’m going to bathe Cassy, I give her an extra dose of oil for about a week before and after the bath, just to make sure her skin keeps producing her balancing oils.

#32877 Report Abuse
    Susan

I spent months getting rid of my little dog’s dandruff problem last summer. Even after extra fish oil and coconut oil still a problem. Found a shampoo with tea tree oil and oatmeal and used twice. Also, and I think this was the cure, I switched his dog food to one that did not have tomato of any form. (Thanks to Pattyvaughn ) The shampoo made a big difference, but I think the dog food change solved the problem. He was dandruff free in a week or two and has not returned. I had already discovered poultry was not agreeing with him anymore and now tomato is on his no list. Good Luck!

#32878 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Doesn’t it feel great to finally find something that works!!

#32879 Report Abuse
    Susan

For sure! Also great to be able to compare notes with others and find ways to help my animals with things my vet can’t diagnose due to lack of animal nutrition knowledge/education.

#32935 Report Abuse
    Weimcrime

It kind of just went away on its own. I think the bath might have disturbed flakes on his skin. I am switching his food completely tomorrow, I’ll see if the dandruff continues. I work at a pet boutique, so getting supplements shouldn’t be a problem. Thank you for all your suggestions, guys!

#32973 Report Abuse

My weim gets little bit of dandruff in the winter, fish oil usually gets rid of it. He gets salmon oil daily with his meals (about 5 pumps)

#33329 Report Abuse
    dogspotindia

Use some vinegar solution in the water and and rubbed this solution onto the dogs but make sure that the solution is not use the close side of the dogs eye, ear and sensitive areas. thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.