Doggie summer treats

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Doggie summer treats

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi, everyone. Thought I’d share some yummy summer treats for the pets.
    I haven’t made any yet…but I plan on it.

Apple Honey Pupsickles

2 – 6 oz. containers of yogurt
    2TBS peanut butter
    2TBS honey
    1/3 cup applesauce

Mix all ingredients well and pour into small cups or ice cube trays and freeze.

Frozen Juice Pops

1 quart natural fruit juice ( not grape and no sugar)
    1 banana
    1/2 cup yogurt

Blend all together well and freeze into small cups or ice cube trays.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by Honeybeesmom1.
    #18439 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When I need to open a can of pumpkin, I freeze the rest in a candy mold so it is already portioned. My dogs love to get part of their meal icy cold.

#18441 Report Abuse

I’ve frozen it too…but TBS sizes…then put in freezer bags. I got these off of pet recipe sites…do you see anything wrong with the ingredients? I’m not too sure about the honey…but I know you and others will know if it’s okay to feed.

#18443 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Honey is good, especially for seasonal allergy dogs. Local organic raw honey is best.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by theBCnut.
    #18448 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I don’t think the 2 TBS of honey in the whole recipe will be a problem. I wouldn’t give my small dogs more than 1 tsp a day total of honey so the small amount in the treat recipe would be ok.

#18449 Report Abuse

Thanks, Patty & pugmom! Patty, now that you mention honey for allergies…I do remember reading something about – it has to be local honey from up to 50 miles from where you live. Did I read that correct? Honeybee is highly allergic to pollen. He broke out in hives like crazy! Would I give this yr. round or a few days or weeks before allergy season?

#18451 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks for posting these. I won’t buy anymore store bought treats and I’ve been looking for treat recipes to make. Great idea for summer!

#18452 Report Abuse

You’re very welcome Cyndi. I know making our own will be much cheaper and safer than store bought. Here’s a few more.

Frozen Fruit Pupsickles

4 cups water
    1TBS molasses ( dissolved in water)
    1 cup fresh fruit, chopped

mix well pour into small cup or ice cube trays and freeze

Cool Treat
    2 kiwi (peeled and chopped)
    1 cup low- fat yogurt
    mix and freeze

Yogurt Pumpkin Freeze
    Blend 1 cup canned pure pumpkin and 1 cup plain yogurt.
    Pour into small cups and freeze.

#18458 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If Honey only has seasonal issues and you know when they start then starting the honey just a few weeks before is fine. If it is kind of generalized year round then give honey year round. And yes, it has to be fresh local honey to do much good.

#18459 Report Abuse

They start the first week of May. I was thinking grass – but now I know it’s the pollen. If it aint one thing with him…it’s always another. LOL I’ll get the local organic raw honey. Thank you much.

#82143 Report Abuse
    David H

Thanks for the dog summer treats. it’s a great treat for summer. Thanks for sharing @Honeybeesmom1.

#82156 Report Abuse

You’re very welcome, David! I’ve made these for my doggies and they love them.
    I no longer use peanut butter as I’ve heard it’s not good for pets.

Gosh I haven’t logged on since forever! I still pop in as this place is a wealth of info for keeping our furry friends healthy.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.