🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Zach M

I need help. My dog Ginger (52 lb, Lab/?) goes to the kennel when we take a vaca week. Now let me tell you, she isn’t the bravest dog, and gets REALLY nervous. She eats about 1/2 of her food while she’s there, but only lost 1 lb. She sits in the corner and is unsocial. When we got back, she stopped eating. She hasn’t been eating usual for about a week and a half. She will be given her meal. After about an hour, if she hasn’t eaten we take it away. When her dinner comes, she takes a few bites, and about 45 minutes after it was out, she eats it. She is a couple meals behind, because she won’t eat double meals. She is playing fine, and her stools are fine. She hasn’t lost any weight since we got back. She is eating BB Wilderness, (We are switching that out of the rotation for THK) with plenty of added toppers that HDM and others recommended, but under 20%. She will eat toppers, but not kibble. She eats on her ABC day just fine. She will also eat canned food fine, too. Raw is too costly for us, as well as canned. Any help on getting her to eat would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    -Zach M.

#46018 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would try mixing the canned into her kibble with a little warm water to make a gravy.

#46021 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I put the canned food on her regular food, and I put water on some regular food. She turned her nose on them. She just ate the canned food part and spit ilthe kibble out. The warm water batch she didn’t even touch. Do you think it would make a difference to put them together? She just now ate her breakfast that I reset out at 600.

#46026 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Zach, try boiling some butternut pumkin its sweeter then the other pumkin, try mixing some pumkin with some can salmon or tuna in spring water, drain the spring water & mix thru the pumkin, She may just dislike kibbles can you afford to buy her canned wet foods instead of the kibble, or maybe put the kibble in a snap lock bag & get a rolling pin & smash away, crushing the kibble, then mix 30% kibble with canned or cooked pumkin….

#46029 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Is ABC Day coming up? Maybe that would stimulate her appetite.

I know when I don’t eat much for a while, it takes some time to fully regain my appetite.

I might’ve thought she picked up a little bug at the kennel, but it sounds like she has no other symptoms. Maybe now would be a good time to introduce the new food, assuming you hadn’t already. Maybe she’s be interested in reading something different.

#46030 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Sue, I will try that crushing idea. Unfortunately, canned food is to expensive for everyday food, but for times lime this she eats canned food. I will crush it on her canned food, and since there isn’t much left, I will order some new kibble. I was thinking about Merrick GF. ABC day is Saturday, so I might move it to tomorrow. Thank you for all the suggestions!

#46034 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Zach-
    Have you tried a stew type of canned? They are easy to mix really well into the dry food. Remember that you only have to worry about the 20% or less for toppers if it is not a balanced topper, such as sardines. Most canned is balanced as long as it doesn’t say for supplemental feeding only. I’ve been using the Kirkland Cuts which has been replaced by Natures Domain canned foods. Also Pure Balance, Merrick and Whole Earth Farms have budget friendly canned stew style foods that I like. Maybe mixing it really well into the kibble will help. Good luck. Wouldn’t it be nice if they could talk sometimes?

#46037 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hey Zach,

Not to try to talk you out of the Merrick, but there are a lot of people reporting problems with Merrick brands of kibble, in particular, Whole Earth Farms. I’ve never been a fan of Merrick products. I believe they have quality issues from the top down.

I’m sorry, I originally must’ve misunderstood. I thought you were planning to replace Blue Buffalo with THK. If you’re in the market for a new kibble, some I think are great that are pretty budget friendly are Dr.Tim’s, Horizon Legacy and Wellness Core.

#46044 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I was thinking about THK, but was also deciding between merrick and core. I am a fan of wellness core, as I have used some of there Canned food and treats in the past. C4C, I was talking about real food toppers that I pit on arnt over 20%. When I feed canned I give her a meal of it. Tell me about it. If my dog could talk life would be so much better! Merrick I’ve heard has had quality issues, but it seems like the ingredients and protein is right for my dog. I might make the switch to Wellness core, but I’m not sure if they use ingredients from the usa and if they use no gmos, which are important to me for certain reasons. Thanks for all the help. I will continue to pursue my goal of getting my dog to eat her food!

#46059 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Zach M

I would look into the “kennel” Ginger stays at when you vacation. Her refusal to eat is likely due to stress. In Los Angeles where I live there are ALL kinds or boarding and day care. There are home based ones where your dog would be in someones home and not in a multiple dog kennel. There is pet sitting where someone comes to your home every day and can spend time with Ginger, walk her and feed her while she remains in a familiar environment.

The kennel Ginger stays at might not be the right one for her. If possible try to figure out if there is a less stressful option you can find for boarding Ginger when you go on vacation.

Good Luck and please give Ginger a hug for me!

#46064 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Excellent thoughts James!

I remember many years ago, I had to board my Black Lab at a kennel where I lived in Florida. I told them that she must be met out of the kennel as she would only go to the bathroom on the grass. I was so excited to see her that we hopped in the car and headed for home as soon as I picked her up. Within minutes, I thought she had had and when I turned around to look, the poor thing had just pooped a week’s worth of poop on the back seat. They obviously never let my poor baby out of the damn kennel the entire time she was there. I was furious.

Oh, and Wellness is GMO free. They may source some synthetic vitamins and minerals from China. Many synthetic vitamins and minerals are from China.

#46065 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I gave her a nice long hug from you! The kennel she stays at does have 10-20 dogs. The people there remember her as the “dog who stays in the corner”. We were thinking of payong for a private play time which is 15 minutes a day of private play. We have looked 8 kennels in real life and this one was the best. I would have someone dog sit, she is afraid of our only neighbor who could do it. Well, she isn’t afraid she doesn’t respond to her and stays in her kennel. We are going on another vacation in two weeks. We will look at other places. Thanks!

#46066 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Hi Betsy, I just saw your post. The kennel she goes to has 6 enclosed play pens inside where they have a couple dogs each based on size and social ability. They also have outdoor play time. They say that this year was her best year because she actually did a little bit of playing with other dogs. I just hope that she gets better.

#46067 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I have an on-call pet sitter. My dogs stay at home and she comes here. She would even spend the night. I can also call her on short notice and she’ll come to my house during the day to let the dogs out, play with them and take them for a walk. Maybe look online to see if you can find abonded and insured in-home pet diet.

I’m spoiled though, my parents are in their 80’s and they usually pick up my dogs to spend the day at their house when I’m at work.

#46068 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I would like to have that be the case. My dog is a TERRIBLE dog walker. I am currently on day 9 of dog training I have followed steps, but my dog is strong and really thinks she is the leader. I will try and find someone. Thanks for the help!

#46069 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I use a head collar called a Gentle Leader. My young Golden is strong and energetic and he’s a puller. When he’s wearing a Gentle Leader, he knows it, and doesn’t pull. When a dog is wearing a Gentle Leader, and he pulls, the collar causes his head to turn to the side and he’s quickly reminded that he’s not in charge. I had amazing success with mine.

#46070 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks Betsy! I looked it up, and will probably try it out. I just have to find out the size.

#46136 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Zach,
    I use no pull harnesses from Soft Touch Concepts. Google for the website.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.