Dog won't eat new food for first time? (Raw beef heart)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Dog won't eat new food for first time? (Raw beef heart)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sirius K

I have a 2 and a half year old mastiff. He is absolutely lovely and has been more or less in good health his whole life. He isn’t on an 100% raw diet, though a lot of what I give him throughout the day is raw meat/slightly cooked meat/meat-based actually good quality treats (I do heavy research before buying anything lmao)

Anyway, so my dog loves steak. So do I. Steak used to be a birthday treat, but since we moved into a place on our own and it’s just the two of us– anyway, he gets steak a lot now. He’s all about that. Lol. I cut his portion into pieces to give him before I season or cook my portion.

Anyway, at the nearby farmer’s market, I recently bought a calf heart (organic, grass-fed, very nice looking) — I haven’t had full on raw beef heart before and neither has my dog. It was frozen when I purchased it and it’s been frozen up until I tossed it in my fridge to thaw. Seeing as it’s a muscle, I figured he would view it similar to steak.

I cut him a couple pieces today because he seemed interested, but he wouldn’t touch it!
    This is the first time he’s turned down (meat) raw food of any type. He’s usually only the type to turn down most fruits and vegetables (that are safe for dogs of course) lol.

Did he just think it smelled weird or something? Raw heart does smell rather strong even to me– so I’m sure it smells a hell of a lot to him. But he really likes his other smelly treats– like the green tripe sticks by Barkworthies. So, do you know what’s up?

I’m about to soak some pieces in apple cider vinegar because I read a few places that it would cut down on the smell. But yeah. I was fully planning on sharing this bounty with him. Haha. I don’t know why he isn’t interested. I’m half worried something is wrong with the beef heart I bought and that’s why he won’t eat it, but everything checks out and it seems really fresh.

He loves chicken hearts and all that good stuff.
    Anyway, any ideas?
    Thanks. 🙂

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Sirius K.
    #90357 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

I would wonder if that particular batch of heart might be a bit off. Not rotten, per se, but dogs have super sensitive noses and it could be less fresh than you think or could have some other change from the cow’s diet, medicines, etc. Maybe he’d like to try some heart from a different source. I don’t think I would try masking the smell with vinegar but instead trust your doggy’s nose wisdom :).

Tabitha (Dr. Thompson)
    http://naturalalternativesvet.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.