My one year old labradoodle has been throwing up daily for about two weeks now. She acts fine doesn’t seem sick at all except for the throwing up. I have been feeding her the same food since she was 3-4 months old… Dr. Tims Kinesis. it appears to be all swollen food that comes up, should I switch food or is this a vet visit?
Personally, I would do a vet visit, since this is a new behavior on an old food. How are her stools looking? Worming may help, digestive enzymes may help, but I would have her seen.Leah12345Member
Did anything else change? When I went back to work I shifted to feeding one meal a day and my 1 y/o girl started throwing up. It was just bile so I started giving her a snack in the morning and she hasn’t had any problems since. She didn’t do this when she ate twice a day. This may not be related, but I am wondering if your girl’s eating cycle changed. If not, I would take my girl to the vet at this point. Good luck!jakes momMember
you may want to check out the Diet/health issues forum. Look on page 2, there’s a lot of discussion about the same problem.
I was just on one of my Border Collie websites and a vet that gets on there was talking about one of her client’s dogs who ate one of those superbounce balls and it stayed in the stomach for months. The dog would just vomit about daily over the course of a year. They finally took the dog in to be checked out. They couldn’t feel anything. X-rays didn’t show anything. Since it had been going on so long without getting better the vet suggested an exploratory. That’s how they found the ball. Apparently, when it settled against the bottom of the stomach, it blocked food from exiting and the dog vomitted. Once the dog vomitted, the ball moved away and the dog could digest food normally again, but pretty soon the ball was back to blocking the stomach. She told about a few gross stories due to what dogs had eaten, but…
I don’t think this case is really anything serious, but best to make sure.SusanParticipant
Hi ringohop, I’d change her food, to wet tin food low fat 3% or under or home cooked boiled chicken breast & boiled rice & a little boiled pumkin, try this for 2 weeks & see how she goes, sounds like either the Dr Tims is not agreeing with her or its the hard kibble not agreeing with her, so any brand kibble might do the same thing..
When she does vomit up the swollen kibble how many hours after eating the kibble does she vomit it??
A vet will either tell you to feed lean cooked foods or will put her on their prescription diet foods (Science Diet or Royal Canin) & will want to do further test… I’d try the wet tin or home cooked first & see how she goes…but if you do try a wet tin make sure the fat% isnt over 3% fat… 4% fat wet converted to kibble fat is about 18% fat, 5% fat wet converted to kibble is around 22% fat, 3% fat in wet tin converted to kibble is around 13.6% fat…
Would flea and tick meds cause this? I applied frontline plus. She seems to be more lazy/sleepy the last couple of days but when she’s up and running around she acts fine.
sue66b… there is no certain time frame after eating that she throws up. She does it at random times.SusanParticipant
Hi Ringohop, why I asked about how long after eating does she vomit her kibble, is my boy was vomiting up his kibble 6-8 hours after eating it & it still wasnt digested, so I had to change his kibble, vet said a lower fat & a low residue kibble, he was put on the Vet Prescription Diet Eukanuba Intestinal & the vomiting stopped, but he did get Pancreatitis from the kibble being too high in fat it was 19% fat, now he eat kibbles with fat% from 10%-13.6% fat, I feed the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal limited ingredients for breakfast & lunch & his Eukanuba Intestinal for dinner & he hasnt vomited these kibbles fingers X…. I’d feed wet tin food if I could for breakfast but he has very sloppy poos, so now I found a couple of tin foods where the fat% is 0.3% & 1% fat & I’m trying them with the Wellness Simple kibble for breakfast & his poos are good as long as I mix with his kibble…I mite try with no kibble next week & see if his poos are sloppy again since Ive lowered the fat% so his poos should be good..
When I used the Advantage spot on once, Patch vomited blood about 8 hours after apply it & his side of his face swelled up, by the time I realised & rung his vet the 24hr bad period was over, so vet said no more Advantage as the Advantage goes thru the layers of their skin to their blood, his Vet recommended Frontline Plus spot or the Frontline spray, as the Frontline Plus Spot on only goes thru 2 layers of their skin & he’s was OK on the Frontline Plus…Ive heard that some flea & tick collars can make their dogs ill…
I looked up the Dr Tim Kenesis & the fat min-16% so max fat is probably around 17%-18% max, it mite be a bit high, try a lower fat kibble & see if the vomiting stops, it stopped my boys vomiting….
Yes, the flea med can do that.Garry MMember
What is wet tin food?Taunia AMember
lots of times if the kibble is whole when thrown up, the dog isn`t inhaling the food instead of chewing…try to slow down her eating by placing a heavy ball in her dish to slow down her eating!! Good luck!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.