šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angela S

i posted on here a couple of months ago about my dog. she often has soft poop that is difficult to pick up out of the grass. a reader on here suggested upping the fiber content. i did that; i am feeding her american journey salmon and rice with 6% fiber. it does not seemed to have helped. i want to change the food anyway, because it has peas and pea protein, and i want to get away from beans after the stories I’ve heard about the possible relationship with heart issues and beans in diets. Before this food, she was eating whole earth farms chicken and turkey grain free. her poop was still pretty soft on that. before that, she ate royal canin SO (crystals in urine causing blood in urine and sometimes issues with holding urine), which i took her off of after feeding it to her for 8 months. the vet said i could try her on the SO food for a while and take her off to see how she does. she’s been off of it since june 2017 and has not had issues with her bladder. any suggestions as to what could be causing the issue with the poop? we have a vet appointment in September, so i’m definitely talking to my vet about this, but wanted to get feedback from folks on here with their experiences/suggestions. thanks!

#120874 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi, Angela it seems that the foods you mentioned are grain free, try a grain in diet with less fiber. I don’t know what protein the dog is on, but there is holistic select you can try ask your vet about that one. Look on their web site and see the formulas it is for digestive health and you can also review it on chewy. For right now try adding some white rice to her diet. Oh and ask the vet about probiotics. There is one called Forti flora on chewy’s web site read about that. I am using that right now and it works. Hope it works out for you.

#120878 Report Abuse
    Angela S

thank you!

#120880 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve been feeding or mixing in some “raw green tripe” for years. Raw tripe now but years ago I fed canned tripe. Even a small amount in one meal per day might help and decreasing the amount of kibble.

You might also try crumbling up a nugget or two of a freeze dried raw food such as Primal Freeze Dried if you do not like raw frozen. It’s pricey per pound so just a few pieces will do. Bone matter helps to make formed stool. There are several brands of raw foods (frozen, dehydrated and freeze dried) to choose from.

Primal also had frozen grinds (meat and bone) and frozen mixes (meat/bone/some veg) in small chubs.

Sometimes, just decreasing the amount of food helps.

#120881 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    sometimes it’s hard to find that perfect dry food that firms poo, doesn’t cause stomach problems & doesn’t cause urinary problems…
    Is your dog small & how were her poos when she ate the Royal Canine S/O vet diet?
    maybe try a dry food that has healthy grains that has fiber at 3-4%

Have a look at

* “Wellness” Complete Health Small Breed Turkey & Oatmeal – has grains
    “Wellness” Core – Small Breed grain free
    “Wellness” Simple – grain free or grains

For Dogs

* “Canidae” Pure Wild – grain free
    “Canidae” All Life Stages Platinum – grains
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

* “Natural Balance” Potato & Duck Grain free the the fiber is 3% NO Legumes https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog-formulas/special-category-limited-ingredient-diets

#120911 Report Abuse
    Angela S

my dog is 48 lbs. when she was on royal canin, her poops were smaller and firmer. i don’t want to go back to that food, though, because she doesn’t seem to need it, and it was very expensive. i’d put her back on it in a second, of course, if her bladder issues return. thank you for your suggestions. i’ll look through them.

#120915 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    look at the ingredient list to the Royal Canine S/O & pick a dry food with simliar ingredients Rice, Chicken & wheat & see how she goes, the fiber is only 3.4%max in the R/C S/O formula…
    Grain formula’s have less fiber then some of these grain free formula’s… stay around 3-4%max for her fiber…

#120924 Report Abuse
    Angela S

Hi Susan, I am going to be ordering Iams pro health soon and transition her to that and hope that will works. It has similar ingredients. Thank you for your advice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.