🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany T

Hi there, in my quest to get one of my dogs to like different organ meats, it seems hopeless.

She is a little GSD mix and she refuses to eat other types of liver and certain organs unless I cook them and hide them in her food. She eats raw beef and calf liver no problem, but discriminates other animals’ livers lol.

We are only on a partial raw diet (TOTW kibble in the AM and raw in the evenings) but my question is, is it healthy for her to just have this one specific organ? Or do I need to look into supplements? Or continue with my cooking and hiding method? lol

#118588 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

Have you tried feeding frozen or semi-frozen?

Bill

#118589 Report Abuse
    Tiffany T

I have not. I didn’t think it would make much of a difference but I might try it!
    She tends to smell stuff and turn her nose up at it. She’s so dramatic lol

#118594 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

Sometimes it is a texture thing. Many dogs who are averse to organs will eat them frozen or semi-frozen.

If it is only a “smell” thing (vs a texture thing), I’d advise only giving a light sear to change the nose, but not fully cooking the organ, if possible. It could take a process of more cooked, to progressive less seared, to raw.

Precutting fresh organs into 10% of the daily diet-sized pieces and then individually freezing the pieces can make one’s life easier (assuming the frozen tip works).

Bill

#118597 Report Abuse
    Tiffany T

For sure! Thanks so much, I will definitely try it. We already have them separated into 1-2oz servings so it works out 🙂

#118598 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

I’ve seen these 2 strategies work for many (many) dogs. One will almost always do the trick.

If the frozen trick works out, feeding gets that much easier. No thawing.

Best,

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.