🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Boxermom
    Participant

Hey all,
    So I started my dog on a new food.
    After having diarrhea problems on many brands, this food finally firm up his stool and I was so happy! However, after 1 week I weight the dog and saw he lost 3 kg (!!!) 🙁 . Since he’s a little skinny already, and I actually want him to gain weight, I panic and added about 110g to his daily amount. That caused him to have diarrhea again (I assume, because nothing else changed).
    Now I don’t know what to do- should I go back to the former amount and gradually increase it, or just stay on the new amount till he gets used to it?
    I’d appreciate anyone’s opinion…

#23034 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What food is he on now?

#23035 Report Abuse
    Boxermom
    Participant

Canine caviar

#23036 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would try to gradually increase the amount. You could also try feeding him smaller but more frequent meals. What foods did you try prior to CC that caused loose stools?

#23045 Report Abuse
    Boxermom
    Participant

Thank you, may I ask how frequent meals make a difference? Now I feed twice a day but I don’t mind feeding more often if it could help.
    I don’t have all the food options in my country- I tried Regal (4 stars), Eukanuba (3.5), Nutrience (3.5) and Acana (5). I tried two different kinds of Acana because I really wanted to feed him that brand, but no luck. I wanted to try Merrick when found out it has chicken fat in its lamb food, and I think my dog is sensitive to chicken… The Canine Caviar is the first food in the last YEAR, that actually firm up the stool, immediately (within a day). But of course if I can’t get my dog to gain weight on it, then I’ll have to keep on searching…

#23046 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’m not certain that more smaller more frequent meals would help, but I think it would be worth trying – just less to digest at once. Chicken fat shouldn’t be a problem for a dog with sensitivities to chicken. Sensitivities are to the protein in an ingredient, fat doesn’t contain (or shouldn’t contain) any protein.

#23047 Report Abuse
    Boxermom
    Participant

I’ll try to change to 3 meals a day see if it helps…
    And I didn’t know that about the chicken fat! That’s really good news, I may try the Merrick after all!
    Thank you!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.