🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cyndi

Hi guys, I have a question, well, actually two. A friend of mine’s brother has a dog (& I know several people whose dog does this as well) that licks constantly. Not himself, but people. The dog wants to constantly be licking his owners, or anyone’s, hand, face, legs, any body part he can. So, my question is, why do some dogs do this and also, how do you get them to stop?

#55816 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some do it because they are submissive and they are being solicitous. Some do it because they are turned on by lotions, soaps, etc. Some do it because they get an upset stomach, stomach acid issues that the licking causes saliva to flow which coats the esophagus. Some like sweaty skin salt.

#55817 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I thought it might be the submissive thing, but didn’t realize the others. & I’m sure it’s different with each dog that does it. Oh well, just glad it’s not mine that does it, lol! Thanks Nut!! 😉

#55820 Report Abuse
    Dori

It’s either a submissive issue or stress. Anyway, that’s been my experience through dogs that were a tad ocd on licking.

#55828 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Dori! I’ll mention that to my friend next time I see him. He said he went over to his brother’s house on Sunday and had to leave sooner than he wanted cuz the dog would not stop licking him, lol!

#55873 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Boone doesn’t lick people but he grooms Ginger like a cat. She has the cleanest head, eyes and ears. He also licks our hardwood floors. He walks around the house & does it. He is the strangest dog but we love the little poop lol.

#55875 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Awww, Marie, that’s actually cute! I bet Ginger loves it! Lol! One of the cats I used to have used to clean my doberman’s ears. Moose used to lay his head down right next to the cat and my cat would lick his ears for hours, lol!

#55903 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Gideon used to pin Buddy to the floor and clean his ears. Micah won’t allow it, but Gideon can flea bite him.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.