Dog Food Rating

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Peggy

I’m confused about a dog food rating on this site, so thought I would ask.

Pure Balance has 2 grain-free recipes, Wild & Free Bison and Pea , and Salmon and Pea Recipe. The Bison and Pea is rated 4 stars, while Salmon and Pea is rated 3.5 stars.

Salmon and Pea is used for the review, and at the end of the review, says
    “Pure Balance Grain Free is a plant-based dry dog food using a moderate amount of salmon and salmon meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars.

Highly recommended.”

So my question is – Is the Pure Balance Salmon & Peas recipe rated 3.5 or 4 stars?

#65350 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The salmon rates 3.5 stars as noted next to the recipe.

It is my understanding the 4 star rating is the average for both recipes within the Pure Balance GF line. If recipes within a line warrant a different rating it is noted next to the recipe.

“◾Pure Balance Wild and Free Bison and Pea Recipe (4.5 stars)
    ◾Pure Balance Grain Free Salmon and Pea Recipe (3.5 stars)”
    /dog-food-reviews/pure-balance-grain-free-dog-food/

Wellness also has a recipe that is rated different within the Core line; there are several other brands with different ratings within recipes too:
    /dog-food-reviews/wellness-dog-food-core-dry/

Recipes containing more protein from quality meat sources are typically rated higher than foods with more plant based proteins. Here is the criteria for DFA ratings:
    /frequently-asked-questions/rate-dog-food/

#65351 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I thought the 4 stars was the combination of both recipes as well.
    But it clearly says: “Pure Balance Grain Free is a plant-based dry dog food using a moderate amount of salmon and salmon meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars.”

This can be very confusing for people new to the website.

#65359 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The comments made in each review are in relation to the recipe that is posted in the dashboard display. I suppose that might be confusing if you aren’t familiar with the DFA. Good thing we can post questions and there is a FAQ section! 😉

#65361 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Oh I didn’t even read the comments yet, ha

#65363 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The comments on ingredients contained in the recipe review not comments made by posters. I didn’t write that very well. lol

#65367 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Bobby dog, understood.

In reference to your post further up, I understand that the rating is the average of the two together. But still………….

It is clearly stated that Salmon & Pea is rated 3.5 stars.
    But in the yellow section it clearly states that the review is for the Salmon & Pea, and under the Bottom Line, says that Salmon & Pea is rated 4 stars and is Highly Recommended.

It’s just odd.

#65368 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I missed that, where does it say the Salmon is rated 4 stars?

#65369 Report Abuse
    Peggy

It is beneath The Bottom Line, still a part of the review –

“Pure Balance Grain Free is a plant-based dry dog food using a moderate amount of Salmon and Salmon meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars.

Highly recommended.”

#65370 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The last part of the sentence references the brand not individual recipes.

#65375 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ok, then that makes it even more confusing, lol. For someone who’s been on this site for months, it’s fine, I guess. But for new folks, it makes no sense. 🙂

#65379 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Gotcha, you could always send a suggestion to guest support. I am sure the POV from a new user would be appreciated.

#65380 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I looked….on top, above the yellow box, it says that one is 3.5 the other is 4.5.
    That is how I look at all ratings and have since my first day here.

#65381 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Yep I saw that and posted it above.

#65382 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Thanks for the suggestion Bobby dog, I will do that. 🙂

#65383 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome! 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.