đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Libby G

My question concerns your ratings of Stella and Chewys Frozen raw patties. You rate the Lamb as 2.5 stars. Yes the venison which is now called venison blend as it contains lamb you rate 5 stars. Why is that?

#128040 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Same question here Libby. I’m thinking because the lamb is MUCH higher in fat? I just brought the venison not realizing it’s a blend now. I’m looking forward to getting the advisors new 2019 list to see if he changes ratings. I also give a little of Stella’s small breed kibble as a base with their Stella’s. A little worried since peas, chickpeas etc are high up on its ingredient list and the DCM concern regarding these legumes might block Taurine
    I have Chihuahuas’ so this breed isn’t listed as the dogs most effected. I also alternate with Primal freeze dried duck and turkey/sardine and Bixibi rawbbles as treats.
    I also alternate with Primal freeze dried duck and turkey/sardine and Bixibi rawbbles as treats.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    #128055 Report Abuse
    Libby G

Patricia, I have two field labs, both very high energy that compete in dog sports. So I watch their diet carefully. I supplement their Stella frozen raw patties with Primal’s venison, rabbit, or Turkey/sardine nuggets to get the number of ounces I feed each per meal twice a day. So ingredients are crucial to their maintaining the proper weight in addition to getting the right supplements for a healthy diet. I was disappointed to see that Stella went from all venison to a blend. I prefer it overall to Primal as it has the higher meat content.

#128066 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The fat-to-protein ratio is quite high, 100%. Also, keep in mind, the guaranteed analysis lists the minimum amounts of protein and fat, not the exact amounts. The ingredients are good. It’s the fat that can be an issue for some dogs.

Lamb is reported to have 2085 kcal/kg (471 per 8 oz patty at 42% protein and 42% fat minimum dry matter) while venison blend lists 1785 kcal/kg (403 per 8 oz patty at 50% protein and 33% protein minimum dry matter)

#128102 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I always stick to the 5* flavors/proteins ratings. Very thankful for this site because it least I have a starting point of hopefully a healthy food and if they are thriving on it and also enjoys eating it. Like Libby I alternate Primal and Stella’s. I THINK Rawbble Bixbi is a good freeze dried but way too expensive to feed as meals. They get a few as treats.
    Libby mentioned preferring Stella’s over Primal. Aside from Stella’s having higher meat content is Stella’s ingredients overall a wee better then Primal in your opinion?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.