Dog Food Advise

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tom D

Let me start of by saying i have a hound mix dog, not sure what breed he actually is. He’s about 2 years old. For the first year, he was eating Blue Buffalo/ Wilderness. I was changing between chicken and salmon every few months. But after about a year eating that he lost all interest and would barley eat his food. I then started giving him Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free. He has tried the chicken and duck/turkey so far. But recently i have heard a lot of stuff about EVO.

I have tried doing some research on EVO but the only useful website was this one. What dog food would you prefer.
    My dog really liked the salmon BB food and any fish treat i have ever given him, but Nature’s Variety does not have a fish flavor in the raw boost.

Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free VS EVO?

What experiences do you have with either on of these food?

#78638 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Tom- Welcome to the site first off. If you like Nature’s Variety there is no reason not to try the Salmon just because there is no raw boost. The raw boost doesn’t really give enough of a benefit for it to make much of a difference and there is often inconsistancy with how much raw boost you get per bag. EVO is a good food, but since being given up by NaturaPet has gone to Proctor&Gamble and now Mars. For some that is a complete turn off as they are worried about recalls and quality changing etc.

#78643 Report Abuse
    Tom D

Thanks for replying, Pitlove. The only reason i have been going with the raw boost is because that is my dogs favorite part. He will eat all the raw bits out first….He takes a big scoop in his mouth walks away from the bowl and then spits the food out and eats the raw bits. Once all the raw bits are gone he eats the rest. I did actually try the Salmon Meal & Turkey Meal Formula but I could only find they small bags and my dog eat that bag in almost a week. Any other food recommendations?

#78674 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Nature’s Variety actually now makes the raw boost that they sell by itself so you can mix it in. I imagine its expensive to buy that + the food, but if your budget allows for it, you could certainly try that. Should be avaliable at Petco.

My dog is very picky and his favorite food by far is Fromm. And it’s also my favorite brand of food. If you can find a retailer (its going to be a small independantly owned shop) or buy online, I think Fromm is worth looking into. They don’t offer the raw boost however. Other brands that are now doing the whole raw boost thing are Natural Balance Wild Pursuit and Merrick Back Country.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.