Dog Allergies Must Read

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Dog Allergies Must Read

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Maria D
    Participant

I have a shepherd mix I have struggled for 7 years with finding the right food for him. He had allergy symptoms itching, paw biting, hot spots, and skin irritation. I’ve used every kind of food including homemade food. I finally found a site called 5 Strands Affordable Testing, that does allergy testing for dogs and humans. I did the test by sending in a specimen of his fur. I received pages of things he has sensitivity to in varying degrees. His most allergic foods were what I had been giving him ie salmon, chicken , turkey and the list goes on. I have him on lamb and or beef foods only now which he is not allergic to ,and his itching and hot spots are gone! The 5 strands test was the best money I have ever spent! He is a much happier dog and more comfortable obviously! And I’m so glad to finally know what to feed him! I joined this site to post this to help other owners with dogs with allergy symptoms, because I know how frustrating it is to deal with!

#158316 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Maria,
    these test -Fur, Salvia & Blood test give false positives, my vet said they’re a waste of money, the only why to test for food sensitivities is to do a home food elimination trial, Feed 1 meat protein & 1 carb for 6 weeks & see doesn’t dog react or use the Hypoallergenic Vet Diet & Environment allergies is see a Dermatologist & have the Intradermal skin test done that humans have done for skin allergies..
    Keep a diary & you’ll find your dog is probably suffering Seasonal Environment allergies, he’ll be fine thru Winter months then when Spring Summer come along he’s itchy scratching red paws, Baths are the best thing for allergies, wash off allergens & use baby wipes the days he doesn’t have a bath, also diet feed a diet high in Omega 3, strengthen immune system & find a local honey supplier within 3km of your home, the bees eat the pollens, give 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day, local honey build dogs immune to local allergens in his area.

#158363 Report Abuse
    WondrousPups
    Participant

I’m happy to hear your furbabie is doing better and happier!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.