Distilled Water for Dogs on Commercial Raw Diets

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Distilled Water for Dogs on Commercial Raw Diets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dori

Does anyone have any thoughts on distilled water for dogs? Would there be any long term negative effects giving only distilled water to dogs that are fed solely commercial raw diets? I know that water contains needed minerals but if you have a water filtration system removing minerals, chlorine, etc. would the dogs be receiving all the minerals that they need from their raw diets?

#37103 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Filtered water isn’t the same as distilled water. Distilled water is created by vaporizing water then condensing it back into liquid. You don’t want to drink distilled water long term.

Here’s an article about it:

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

#37104 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks HDM. I knew you’d have any answer for me. I’m going to read the article right now.

Wow! I’m so glad I didn’t switch them to distilled water.

HDM. I have another question on this same topic after reading the article. If distilled water removes toxins from the body, would it be advantageous to periodically give distilled water for a short time (say maybe a week, no more) as a way of removing toxins or am I missing something?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Dori.
    #37106 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I don’t think that giving distilled water periodically would do any harm but I don’t think it’s necessary to detox. Milk thistle, chlorella, SAMe, etc. are all great detoxifying agents.

To clarify, giving filtered water is definitely a good idea just not distilled.

#37107 Report Abuse
    Dori

Again, thank you HDM. We’re all drinking filtered water and we all, “fur babies” and humans, take milk thistle. I shall stay away from distilled water except for the clothing steamer and iron. Thanks, Dori.

#37117 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Why is distilled water sometimes recommended for dogs who have urinary crystal issues? Due to the reduced minerals? Is this one of those situations where one must chose between the better of two evils, per se? LOL!

#37192 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

How about bottled water which is called purified or some bottle water is called spring water. What is the difference in these waters and distilled? I drink bottled water and I also have filtered in a pitcher in the refrigerator. Which should I give him?

#37203 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Depends on the bottled water, but most of it is somewhat gimmicky. I believe purified is just filtered iirc, and is using the word purified to get your attention.

Most of it is the same, and rarely distiller, so you should be ok

#38592 Report Abuse
    Cotons mom

what is a good source to find out about milk thistle, SAMe and other supplements?

#38596 Report Abuse
    Shawna

I used to be a distilled water drinker but when the news came out about it pulling minerals my family switched to reverse osmosis. RO has minerals removed but doesn’t leach from the body like distilled is supposed to do.

An easy way to get some of those minerals back into the water is to

1. buy liquid minerals and add a couple drops

2. add a small amount of high quality sea salt like himalayan

3. add some coconut water if the kids like the taste

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.