Digestive enzymes

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Digestive enzymes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cotons mom

I am having a terrible problem with my 7 month old puppies eating their poop/each
    others:( I am keeping them on Primal or S&C and alternate with a dry kibble also, give probiotics daily and a few pieces of beef trippe every couple of days. It was recommended that a digestive enzyme may help them stop this ugly habit. If I could get some suggestions it would be helpful. And yes I do try to pick up every time they go!

#40648 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Picking it up is the only thing that works for me.

#40684 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Switching my dogs to grain free high protein and digestive enzymes definitely stopped my poop eater cold, until I babysat someone elses dog that was on a middling dog food.

#40866 Report Abuse
    Cotons mom

theBCnut what brand of food do you suggest? Everything I use is grain free and high in protein. What brand of digestive enzymes would someone suggest, there are so many out there and I don’t want to waste my $$$.

Thanks

#43306 Report Abuse
    Case

I’m interested in the enzymes recommendation as well.

#43773 Report Abuse
    Case
    #43774 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I bought Swanson BioCor for myself, but they upset my digestive system, so I used them for one of my dogs and the difference for him was amazing!

They contain an enzyme that helps break down sugar from starches and veggies.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-biocore-optimum-complete-ultimate-full-spectrum-enzymes-90-veg-caps

#43782 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Case-
    I have used and recently ordered the same digestive enzymes that you just ordered made by Vetri-Science. They are a combo product. They contain enzymes, probiotics, prebiotics and other supplements as well. The other supplements such as, NAG and L-Glutamine are known to be helpful with loose stools. My dogs do well with this supplement as they have bouts of leaky gut or some type of IBS. Not sure if this is what you were looking for or not. I also occasionally use Gastriplex or THK Perfect Form. Good luck.

#43806 Report Abuse
    Case

I haven’t read as much as I need to. Is the intial month of double dosing the standard procedure with any probiotic?

#43807 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, it seems to be the case with all the supplements I’ve used. Is your dog having issues? If yes, I would go ahead and start with the double dosing. If not, just go with the maintenance dosage. Actually, the first couple of days you could build up to the initial dosing if concerned about any side effects. My pups do well on it.

#43808 Report Abuse
    Case

My dog has had bouts of unexplained diarrhea in the past. Her fecal was clear. She was put on albon and flagyl the first time. Tylan the second time. Hoping not to have a third time.

#43813 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I hope not either. Mine were treated four times maybe five with flagyl and panacur for giardia. The with Albon for coccidia. They did, however have parasites. So, boy, do I know about loose stools and diarrhea. It was the main topic of conversation here for about a year! We have all kinds of “grading” systems for poop! I’m not sure if the bugs or the meds did more damage to their digestive systems. Have you checked out dogaware.com? There are several suggestions and information for digestive issues on that site. Another supplement you could use with the vetri pro is Phytomucil. It is made by Animal Essentials. I believe it has slippery elm, plantain, DGL and marshmallow root. It helps to soothe the tract. I guess the main thing, though is to figure out what is causing the issue. Does it occur more when she is excited or after exercise? My dogs do best when I’m feeding Victor with raw frozen nuggets and a supplement. Good luck!

#44965 Report Abuse
    Paula D

+ 1 for the Phytomucil recommendation!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.