šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Liz D

We boarded my 11 month old puppy for the 1st time in Sept. The night he came home he started having vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, and fever. After a round of rice and chicken, antibiotics, and probiotics he recovered. However, since this illness, everytime we put him back on regular food he develops diarrhea within 2 days. It is mucousy. After going back and forth with this for weeks, we decided that perhaps we were introducing the food back into his diet too quickly. We know it’s not infectious because when we put him back on the rice and chicken his poops go back to normal. Plus he is acting totally normal otherwise. SO we just did 5 days straight of just rice and chicken, and then started incorporating food back into his diet. Started with 1/4 cup per meal the 1st day and went up to 1/2 cup the 2nd day. On day 3 he woke up with diarrhea again. He has always been on Purina Pro Plan since we got him at 7 wks old and have never had any issue with his bowels before this illness. We did try introducing Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food as well to see if a better quality food would help. Any suggestions?? I’m at a loss. Thanks!

#80222 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I would head back to the vet, tell him the treatment prescribed has not been successful, so far, and that the symptoms have returned.
    The dog may need some additional tests and pharmaceutical intervention. In the meantime, I would keep him on the bland diet, whatever works.

PS: The dog may have picked up a nasty canine virus at the kennel. Sometimes they need sq fluids and anti-nausea medication to get them over the hump.

#80230 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, what this is telling me is stop the kibble you’re feeding, maybe its too high in fat, or he has became sensitive to an ingredient, something isn’t agreeing with his stomach & bowel, I’d say have him tested for Parasites but you say he’s better when you feed cooked chicken & rice, have you tried a kibble that’s lower in fat & is just chicken & rice??? “California Natural” has their Lamb & Brown rice with just 4 ingredients or their Chicken & Brown Rice with 5 ingredients or “The Honest Kitchen” has base meals & you just add fresh cooked meat or try their Zeal you just add water or see a vet for a round of Metronidazole tablets for 2-3 weeks, Metronidazole is an antibiotic for the stomach & bowel…. http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products

#80231 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Have a look at this link https://www.facebook.com/planetpaws.ca on Rodney Habib Face Book page, Purina’s ProPlan Savor, metal pieces in their kibbles….. fresh home cooked meals are the best… I’m cooking chicken, potato, broccoli, celery, sometimes carrots I add everything that’s healthy & I add “DigestaVite” powder its a Vitamin & Mineral powder that helps their digestive tract…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.