🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Candice S

i am surprised to see, for example, Wellness products as recommended by Dogfoodadvisor. In view of the fact that Diamond has recently bought out these products from the manufacturer, does not the concern arise regarding the use of subcontractors (as cited in your promotional video)? The concern is now, of course, about suspect quality control. I am now questioning how “on top” of the available information Dogfoodadvisor actually is.

#44044 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Wellpet just built their own facility so they wouldn’t need to use Diamond as a manufacturer anymore. Are you saying that Diamond is going to buy out Wellpet? I could find no such information in a google search.

DFA recommends Diamond products too. If you read the article on how they do reviews, you will see that past recall history is not taken into account, because past history is not a sure indicator of future performance.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by theBCnut.
    #44048 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

As BC said. DFA rates foods based on the food itself-the way it looks on paper. Blue is rated well for the most part, but many people won’t feed that either. Editor’s Choice if you’re a member has more information on companies themselves.

Forums and other feedback is where we get other information

#44049 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Candice –

Are you trying to say that Diamond purchased Wellpet? If so, could you please provide some sources for this information. As of Wellpet’s most recent update (05/12/2014) this was not true.

#44050 Report Abuse
    Candice S

hi. i was told by my veterinarian yesterday that Diamond was now distributing a number of products, including some of the Wellness foods. the issue as stated by my vet was that as a result, questions of consistency in quality control will now arise (basically related to the practice of subcontracting). i just received an e-mail response from WellPet informing me that they are NOT affiliated with Diamond. so please accept my apology for my original post. i will now contact my vet to see how it was she came upon that (apparently erroneous) information. thank you all for your responses. best, candice

#44051 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Candice –

No, problem. So much many rumors and new information flies around all that time that it can be difficult to keep things straight. 🙂

At one point in time, a few Wellness formulas were manufactured by Diamond. However, once Diamond experienced their big string of recalls back in 2012 Wellpet severed all ties. Although Wellpet has not been using Diamond as a co-packer for quite some time now, I’m thinking your vet probably just got some outdated information.

#44052 Report Abuse
    Candice S

one more note, i suppose my vet’s information linking Wellness to Diamond was not out of the blue. i read on DFA that on May 4, 2012, “WellPet announced a voluntary recall of one recipe of Wellness dry dog food after being notified by Diamond Pet Foods regarding the presence of Salmonella in Diamond Pet Foods’ Gaston, South Carolina facility.” this would reasonably be taken to suggest that there was some kind of affiliation between Diamond and Wellness in 2012. after that, Wellness announced it no longer “purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods.”
    . . . phew . . it does take some legwork to follow the info trail, doesn’t it!

#44055 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Wellpet definitely and vehemently severed all ties with Diamond after that recall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.