šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rebeccaleaver
    Participant

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes in. “07” at 11yrs. I found a website at the time that listed the carb content of every cat food on the market, I printed it out & it became my food bible. He developed hyperthyroidism one year ago, went into renal failure in Oct. & died Nov. 5 this year just shy of his 17th. Two weeks ago my Doberman,age 4, was diagnosed with diabetes with hypothyroidism. I looked for this website or a similar one & can not find one. I don’t know what way to go with him grain free? all wet? comination of both? any advice would be much appreciated.

#29808 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you can afford to go all wet, that is lower carb than kibble. If you can’t then the 5 star foods are the lowest carb kibbles. There are also several places online to go to get recipes for making homemade, if you are open to going that route.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by theBCnut.
    #29812 Report Abuse
    rebeccaleaver
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. with my cat, I went wet with Fancy Feast. It was the lowest carb highest protein. But at the time anyway, he was 16 lbs. Big difference. I don’t think I can afford to go wet with the low carb food I have checked out. I think I need to get it down pdq because he seems to be going blind. he’s on 12 units & his blood glucose today was 447. I don’t know if alpo has alot of filler. imight be able to swing that. I’m kind of desperate at this point.

#29815 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Alpo is a pretty horrible food, carbs, food dyes, and preservatives. Look in Walmart for Pure Balance.

#29817 Report Abuse
    rebeccaleaver
    Participant

No kidding? I’m very rural still on dial up no cell or cable but there is a Walmart within 20 mi. Will be there tomorrow. Thanks

#29820 Report Abuse
    rebeccaleaver
    Participant

I just checked Pure Balance at Walmart &the only wet food has rice isn’t this carb a big no-no?

#29822 Report Abuse
    A.Sandy

I don’t recommend any grocery brand food you will be paying a lot for a very poor quality food I know that there a lot of low glycemic choices but they are not too cheap but always try your local feed store for great deals on kibble. that might help
    good luck!

A.Sandy
    pet nutrition expert/advisor
    pupcatnutrition.com
    @pupcatfacts

#29823 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m guessing that your Walmart doesn’t have the grain free yet. But even with the rice it is still WAY better than Alpo. You can try to look at Walmart online and see if you can find the Pure Balance grain free.

#29826 Report Abuse
    rebeccaleaver
    Participant

Thank you both for your advice. We also have a Tractor supply store in town. When I go to town tomorrow, I will spend the day on the floor of both stores with my calculator [I’m numerically dyslexic] figuring out the dry matter equation on every food there. Whatever it takes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.