Detox and Raw feeding?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Detox and Raw feeding?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NectarMom

Alright just a few questions because I am noticing things since my dogs have been on just Darwin’s meals and nothing else. They still have acid reflux and they are eating grass again like when they were on kibble? I give them Nyla bones to chew on and when they were on kibble they rarely chewed on them and now since being on all Raw Darwin’s meals they are tearing into the nyla bones. What in the world are they lacking? My shihtzu also threw up her morning meal of Darwin’s and then a couple of hours later I offered her more and she ate it without throwing any up. This is the first time she has done that in 5 weeks so seriously I am stumped on it and wondering why she is walking around now like she does not feel good and keeps sniffing her own behind? They all 4 are licking their feet like crazy once again and eyes are tearing really bad so I am wondering if this is still a detox that they are going through after being on Darwin’s for 7 weeks now? My one chihuahua has made her webs inbetween her feet raw and red from licking so much. What in the world??

#16519 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

She just threw up again so I guess we are off to the Vet in the morning…sigh Very strange

#16559 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

2nd dog with Pancreatitis 🙁 I am completely at a loss and thinking I made a HUGE mistake switching my girls to Raw. May have to find a kibble that is lower fat and grain free….ugh.

#16797 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Just picked up my shihtzu from the vet and she not only has Pancreatitis but also Salmonella poisoning. And now one of my other Chihuahuas has runny poop with blood in it so I will bet shes got Salmonella poisoning too. We have a whole freezer full of Raw and it looks like its all going to go to waste because I am not feeding it anymore. This is horrible that my sweet girls have to go through this. 🙁

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by NectarMom.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by NectarMom.
    #16801 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

That is horrible! So sorry for your situation. I hope they have a speedy recovery.

#16804 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thank you Sandy. If anyone is close to me and or could use some free Darwins and My Pet Carnivore Raw let me know before I toss it out? I still have a box that I can ship it to you if you want to pay the shipping but I might need to find a meat place that could dry ice pack it for me if that is possible. This is a lot of Raw that would go to waste so please contact me at [email protected] if you want it. I just got 10lbs of duck and 10lbs of Bison from Darwin ‘s and I had maybe 10lbs left of turkey from Darwin’s. I have 2/ 5lb containers of ground young beef and 2/ 2lb containers of green tripe super mix, all from My Pet Carnivore. I also have a rib bone and 4/ marrow bones and these are all unopened like the Raw meat.

#16834 Report Abuse

Hi NectarMom, I’m new to raw feeding and get nervous at times. I too want to wish your sweet girls a speedy recovery.

#16837 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

Oh wow. I really hope they get better quickly. So sorry you and your babies have to go threw this. Is it possible to find a holistic veterinarian around your area? I find them much more knowledgeable and less likely to throw you some pills that you really don’t need. Maybe they can answer what went wrong with the trying of the raw diet. It really is trial and error sometimes especially with dogs that might have other conditions. I know it was difficult to find a food that didn’t give my dog diarrhea or super soft poops until I switched to Honest Kitchen. It has been smooth sailing since then and I do plan to switch to raw sometime next month for sure. Good luck!

#16849 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thank you Dieseljunki, I did indeed look for a Holistic Vet in my area and we unfortunately have none. I am kind of on my own on this because my Vets are looking at me telling me I told you so. They handed me a printed out copy of all of the issues in the worlds history dealt with Raw feeding issues. Some breeds do not do well on it and some have no issues what so ever. It is truly trial and error. 2 of mine have not had any problems so far and 2 of mine are quite miserable 🙁

#16945 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

All the Raw is spoken for locally. My crew is being switched back to Brothers Allergy since they have went back to the original ingredients. Hopefully we will not have any more issues. My shihtzu seems to be doing much better and my one chihuahua is also doing better and both finally had firm stools. Sometimes things do not workout and I am just grateful that my girls are recovering. Thanks for all of those concerned 🙂

#17192 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sorry your poor pack had to go through this. Don’t let the vet throw a guilt trip on you. You only tried to do what’s best for your dogs. Some dogs thrive on a raw diet and some don’t .]], I hope you can find a good alternative food.

#81744 Report Abuse
    Rox B

I realize this post is old, but I wanted to comment anyway for those who see it and become fearful of feeding raw. There is a lot of information missing here to determine why this dog got sick. I have seen this happen before with other people, and the problem is not with the raw diet. Here are some reasons for failure…People are feeding kibble and raw food together which can cause illness. Pancreatitis is from eating too much fat and is rare in dogs, it can be caused by underlying issues or a high fatty meal. Many commercial pre-packaged meals contain organs. Organs should not be fed when transitioning from kibble to raw. ONE PROTEIN should have been introduced first. Too bad this person did not have a holistic vet to help teach her how to feed raw properly. Completes have organs which are a fatty and a no, no when starting raw. I prepare my own raw food and follow PMRD guidelines 80/10/5/5. This way I know how much my GSD is eating in the way of raw meat, raw bone, raw liver and raw secreting organ. As far as salmonella poisoning I am going to say I don’t believe it. This dear person told their non-supportive, non-raw friendly, conventional vet, that she was feeding raw and so he assumed the dog had salmonella poisoning. I’ve heard this many times before.

#81751 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Rox,
    I disagree about organ. My dogs eat prey model raw in ground form, which has meat/bone/organ (and some have tripe). From the start, they have had organs.

#81761 Report Abuse

I would disagree also regarding the organs. Skipping out on them even in the beginning could make for some grave imbalances. I do however agree with Rox B that we are missing some crucial information here and it should probably not be assumed that the veterinarian was correct in diagnosing the dogs with Salmonella poisoning right away. A holistic vet should always be the first to go to for questions with raw feeding. I personally do not have one near to me and must deal with the disapproval of my conventional veterinarian. *sigh*

#81770 Report Abuse
    Rox B

I feed PMRD 80/10/5/5 and believe organs are essential for making the diet complete. I still feel organs should not be fed during the transitioning from kibble to raw until the dog’s gut has had time to develop a more acidic PH level (after 3 different proteins and no diarrhea). When dogs just start out eating raw the PH in their guts are still too alkaline from kibble. They can have trouble digesting the rich nutrients and fats in organ meat. A dog’s gut needs time to develop the acidic PH levels capable of digesting organs (and raw bones). Especially, in small breeds like the OP’s dog.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Rox B.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.