dental chews for senior dog with pancreatitis

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health dental chews for senior dog with pancreatitis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane H
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a dental chew that is safe for a senior dog with pancreatitis? He is on prescription food but I’ve learned recently that the brand name chews that he loves are not appropriate for pancreatitis. Thank you.

#153782 Report Abuse
    jeanne e
    Participant

My dog had pancreatits for about 1+ years. I had to cook ( boil) white chicken breasts, only egg whites, etc. Homemade diet. Nothing fried. Eventually towards her end she so badly wanted her normal dry dog food . She started losing weight and with the winter here in NYS I chose to put her down ( 2015 ) as I felt with the snow, bad weather she would have a more difficult time with strength to get around. I had 3 dogs & a doggie door so all 3 of my dogs were used to going out as needed. Anyway, I was afraid she might go out on her own & collaspe & die. She was 15 years old, rescue, mixed breed and I know the end would happen with her weight loss. I did not want her to suffer.
    A Pancreatitis attack is very painful. Pancreatitis with prescription medicine is controlable.
    As for the chews or any type of treat ask your Vet, but I would have NOT given any to my dog as any type of food or treat that is harder for the dog to digest puts more stress on the digestive system. Hope this info helps.

#153783 Report Abuse
    jeanne e
    Participant

I think she was allowed non fat foods and if I remember right I used fat free yogurt and pushed it into a KONG / froze it for her treats.
    Not sure, but I think applesauce, sugar free foods were used for treats or food I put in also & froze. Check with Vet though. My vet gave me a print out of a diet to go by. HTH’s

#153784 Report Abuse
    Diane H
    Participant

Thank you very much for your reply, Jeanne E. I’m so sorry about the loss of your sweet girl. All of our furbabies are precious to us, and the longer we have them with us, the harder it is to lose them. My guy is 11 years old and has had a sensitive stomach since the age of 8 (his age when I adopted him). I learned from experience to avoid feeding him eggs, and I rarely depended on canned food to add to his kibble, but the pancreatitis showed up twice within the past few months. I had changed his dry food to one that I thought would work (and that he would eat) but when I asked my vet, the fat content pf the dry food he was eating was 12%, 2% higher than the max for a dog with pancreatitis should have. Our vet suggested the prescription food he is on now, and thankfully he seems to love it. I’ve been looking for a dental chew that’s safe for him, and will need to ask the vet because I always check the ingredients and fat content and sometimes it’s hard to tell what’s actually in it. Treats now are apple slices and sometimes blueberries and we’ll be going all natural as much as we can. I really like the KONG idea!

#172071 Report Abuse
    Janice R
    Participant

6/1/2021. I purchased Verbac CET Hextra Premium chews. I gave him one waited a day or two before giving him 1 each night. After giving him one the third night consecutively, he began acting anxious, begging for my attention. I thought he was begging for another and corrected him. The next morning, he could not get up by himself, was not eating only drinking enormous amounts of water. Elimination ok. I took him to ER Vet where they diagnosed him with Acute Pancreatitis and Diabetes Mellitis. Due to the enormous $5-$6000 estimate with very poor prognosis, I planned his Euthanasia. I was finally able to get in with his regular Vet. So, now we are trying insulin and low fat diet. After getting him stabelized, I looked at CET Hextra chews, saw they were only 1.0 gm fat, I gave him another. Within 2 hours, again he was distressed with panting and his abdomen became bright red with distension. So, this morning, it dawned on my there might be an association. I found this identical statement from March 2020. I informed my veternarian of what I have found and am waiting to hear back from her. Wish I did a search on “reactions,” verses side effects. I likely would not have purchased. I still may end up Euthanising. Talk about Grieving process.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.