🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

So, I made asked this question under another topic, but I feel like it deserves its own.

Here it is:

What is your stance on natural chews, such as bully sticks, dehydrated meaty bits (gullet strips, tripe and tendon pieces, etc.), antlers, Himalayan Dog Chews, and so on, versus raw meaty bones (RMBs)? Which is better? I know which is less messy, but still, I want to know which is better for a dog, and the one that is worse, how much worse it is? Or (ideally), are they sort of close/equal in the purposes they server (chewing entertainment and nutritional value)?

#27200 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The non-RMB items you listed I use for chewing entertainment and teeth cleaning and results in caloric intake and some have useful things like glucosamine and chondroitin. RMBs I use for food (meat/fat/bone/cartilage/blood) and teeth cleaning.

#27205 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sandy,

Thanks for the info! Good to know that the dehydrated chews are still good and useful. I plan on alternating with RMBs (for the teeth cleaning) and try to give low-calorie chews such as Himalayan Dog Chews and antlers for chewing entertainment when feeding RMBs.

#27298 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The only thing I have against “natural chews” is that a lot of them have actually been treated with chemicals. RMBs are people quality food.

#27307 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Patty,

Point well taken, thank you!

#27345 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Love your avatar, by the way.

#27366 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you, Patty! Yours is really cute too! 🙂

#27391 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh, Patty, in my avatar are my boyfriend Brian, myself, and Bruno. I figured it was somewhat self-explanatory, but just to clarify – this is us. 🙂

#27395 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I assumed it was you, your pup, and some sweet guy, whether boyfriend or husband, I wasn’t going to assume.

My avatar is Micah, my pup with food intolerances. It is actually one of 3 pictures I took one after the other, but the only good pictures I have ever got of him. He’s far too busy for a silly thing like pictures.

#27402 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Patty,

Yup! And yes, Brian is super sweet! (I am not biased, I promise!) 🙂

And Micah is very cute! I usually try to distract Bruno with something chewable while taking pictures of him, lol, but he also is good at looking at whoever is behind the camera if they call his name. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.