šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hav mom
    Participant

My guy has been a dehydrated dog food guy for years now. Thinking of changing him over
    to a good quality dry food ex: Farminga for a change. It is getting so expensive and I too
    am very conscious of the “taurine” problem that is being examined right now, especially
    as Havenese dogs are prone to heart problems, or so I heard. Any input would be greatly
    appreciated so I can make an informed decision on whether to change him over or not.
    Thanks.

#121422 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Hav Mom maybe if you could hold off a little longer until further research is done and we get a definitive answer on what’s causing so many dogs to be diagnosed with DCM. I’m not trusting any kibble since grain free has all the peas/legumes which might be the reason for not absorbing the taurine. Even the added taurine then doesn’t do any good. Then you have the grain inclusive which still has usually potatoes which also might be the problem.
    I give mine Primal freeze dried and Stella’s rotating with the proteins. I can only hope I’m doing right by them.But at least it’s free of legumes/potatoes. In between they will have home cooked if we’re having chicken(boiled for them), plain boiled fish such as salmon and if they are lucky some lean steak or london broil. This way it’s affordable for me. Well they’re Chihuahuas’ but i’m thinking your one Havenese is equal to the three of mine feeding wise. Also I’m finding I can’t go by their feeding suggestions on package. They would be fat since they are very dense foods. So a little goes a long way.
    Since you stated that Havaneses are prone to heart problems, maybe for peace of mind also stick to the dehydrated for now or maybe give what I suggested a try if it’s less costly then youre brand and he does well with it.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    #121424 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Farmina lists potatoes as the 3rd ingredient, which is the formulaā€™s main filler. It lists taurine as the 4th to last ingredient, so youā€™re not getting much of it. And 2 to 3 different types of yeast is not good at all.

Zignature Dry formulas contain legumes BUT does not contain a bunch of fancy ingredients your dog absolutely does not need. You can read the ingredients lists on Chewy. The brand saved my dogs from severe food allergies from all the 5 star kibbles on the list. I crumble Primal freeze dried over it, they love it.

As for keeping a healthy heart, give VetriSCIENCE Laboratoriesā€™ CARDIO STRENGTH Heart Support Formula (for canine and feline), sprinkle over kibble per dogā€™s weight.
    Active Ingredients: (Per Capsule) L-Carnitine HCl 250 mg, L-Taurine 250 mg, N,N-Dimethylglycine HCl 50 mg, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E) 30 IU Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend 25 mg, Coenzyme Q10 20 mg, Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend 10 mg, Folic Acid 0.9 mg, Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate) 0.5 mg, Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate) 0.1 mg, Selenium (as Sodium Selenite) 0.007 mg.
    Inactive Ingredients: Rice Flour,Titatnium Dioxide (Color), Vegetable Cellulose, Vegetable Stearate.

#121449 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Just looked at Zignature dry but not crazy about all the ingredients advisor highlights in red being controversial.
    Trout, salmon meal, peas, chickpeas, pea flour, dehydrated alfalfa meal, natural flavors, salmon oil, flaxseed, sunflower oil (preserved with citric acid), dried beet pulp, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate), choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), blueberries, carrots, cranberries, lactic acid, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, preserved with mixed tocopherols

#121463 Report Abuse
    Hav mom
    Participant

Thank you so much Patricia A and zcRiley for your input. I will keep giving my Hav the same dehydrated food for now until things resolve with good answers about the peas, potatoes etc in the foods. He is thriving so well, just got a bit apprehensive after all the stuff I’ve been
    reading and talking about with other dog owners where I live. Kind of scary all this stuff. Thanks again for a the info..really appreciate sound advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.