🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Julia Halter
    Participant

I just recently decided to add dehydrated food to my rotation to change it up from just kibble and canned. Of course, the only issue I have is I can’t seem to find any good brands. I’m not exactly sure what I should be looking for in a good dehydrated food, nor do I know what to watch out for in a dehydrated food.

Of course, if you guys could help me that would be amazing! I would like to know, what to look for, what to watch out for, if you do have dehydrated food in your rotation what brands do you use and how often do your dogs get it?

#25479 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You can’t find good brands???? The Honest Kitchen is fantastic! Go to their website, there is a lot of information. They are transparent about their ingredients, sourcing, if you have questions, they’re very helpful. They are one of two dog foods that can call themselves human grade, the other is Weruva.

Another dehydrated is Grandma Lucy’s.

THK is smoother, GL is chunkier.

#25484 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Ziwipeak, Only Natural Pet Max Meat, Smack, Vital Essentials, Addiction.
    As far as ingredients go, look for named meats, named fats, real veg/fruit, superfoods, and protein at least around 30% dry matter. Because just like kibble, there are high and low protein dehydrated foods. 30 is just around average. I don’t think Ziwipeak and Vital Essentials absorb water well so I would use those like kibble. You can use rehydrated foods like you would canned foods. They can be given any time as a meal or as a topper to kibble. My senior gets mostly wet food.

#25499 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sandy, I thought most of those we’re freeze dried?

#25500 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I put freeze-dried and dehydrated and air-dried in the same bucket since their water has been removed – the mechanism doesn’t matter for me. Grandma Lucy’s is freeze dried, not dehydrated.

#25502 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Well then, I know nothing today.

#25504 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

LOL! You know lots! 🙂

#25559 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’m like Sandy, I group dehydrated/freeze-dried/air-dried all into the same category.

I find that freeze-dried foods tend to not rehydrate well – the only exception being Grandma Lucy’s.

As the for best dehydrated type foods, my favorites are The Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy’s and Ziwipeak. I also really like Addiction’s dehydrated in terms of ingredients and digestibility (for my crew it digested better than a lot of other brands I tried, poor digestibility is a common problem with dehydrated foods) but if you feed Addiction I’d highly recommend mixing it with a high protein canned or raw food because the protein levels are too low for my tastes. I also like Wysong’s Uncanny but it’s ridiculously expensive and as far as feeding as an exclusive diet, I don’t believe it’s complete and balanced (could be a good mix in for a lower protein food like Addiction though!).

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #25569 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Oh, and there’s also Stewart Raw Science Science. I might have to try Uncanny with Addiction. Seems like a good mix. I like using brushtail as a protein.

#25570 Report Abuse
    Molzy

Hopefully it’s ok for me to add a question to this post – I had read that a lot of dehydrated foods result in more poop? To me, that’s indicative of a lower quality food. Do all of these brands have that problem? It’s not that I mind picking up after my dogs, but I also don’t want them having to go while I’m at work, which hasn’t been a problem for us on high quality kibble or cans.

#25580 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I feed The Honest Kitchen. I’ve fed it to 8 or 9 dogs over the years, varying thk products. I think I’ve had two or three that had more poops on THK. I do not agree that it is indicative of low quality food. Most of THK’s are very high quality. I don’t like the Verve or Force, too low in protein and such but I feed Zeal and Embark and they’re 5 star foods here. I also feed Thrive and it’s 3.5 or 4, I think.

#25583 Report Abuse
    Molzy

Awesome, thanks. I wi definitely give it a try. I have a dog who I think needs a more liquid diet, I have him on canned food now but would prefer to support a company like honest kitchen. Eventual goal is raw, but might not be affordable at the moment. I’ll give the thrive a shot once he is doing ok for a month.

#25602 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I think the increased stool volume has to do with how the ingredients are processed not the quality of the ingredients. The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy’s both use human-grade ingredients. I believe it’s the fact that the vegetables are in larger pieces and (at least with THK) raw that causes the poor digestibility. Dogs don’t produce cellulase so they are unable to breakdown the cellulose in plant-based ingredients unless they are cooked and processed. With my dogs’ raw diet I cook and puree all their vegetables.

#25610 Report Abuse
    Molzy

Thanks Hound dog mom. I am sure you’re right about the processing. I’ll give it a try while I’m researching raw, and see how his system deals with it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.