🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chuck
    Participant

I couldn’t find a search function on this site that worked to see if this topic had been answered.

Basically I have been feeding my Brittany Darwin’s for almost her whole life (she is 2.5), however the cost has gone up astronomically since I first started using them and I know they changed their formula not too long ago and the fat content went up.

She currently gets a Darwin pack in the morning and a pack a night with a little Orijen dry mixed into the night feeding. She has consistently maintained a weight of about 34.

Aside from making the food myself (my wife would rather not) what is the best company that I can switch to for food? I was never really impressed with Bravo or Primal, but it has been years. Also saw this Big Dog Natural company, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

#77173 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

/forums/search/darwin/

If you click on forums, and go back to the home page you will see the search engine on the top of the page to the right. Anyway, that’s what works for me. I am not familiar with this product. Good luck.

#77174 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Chuck:
    My dog does well on some Nature’s Variety frozen & FD, Primal FD, and Stella & Chewy FD recipes.

Here are some forum discussions on BDN:
    /forums/topic/big-dog-natural-dehydrated-food/
    /forums/topic/big-dog-natural-2/
    /forums/topic/big-dog-natural-freeze-dried/

Good luck with your search!

#77175 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I get grinds from Hare Today. If I’m feeling lazy, I feed just the grind. If I’m doing my usual routine, I add fish oil, coconut oil, a supergreen supplement, and a little of a blanched fruit/vegetable puree that I make from colorful fruits and veggies.

#77177 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

My vet, who loves Science Diet, likes Primal a lot because they employ veterinary nutritionists to formulate the food. However, I’ve noticed Primal can be expensive. I would still compare the prices of Primal to Darwin’s and see if it’s an option.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Pitlove.
    #77200 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Chuck,
    I have a brittany who is 5! I buy grinds from Hare Today, Reel Raw Dog and a new england meet up. I feed ones with bone & organ, tripe too for most. They’re complete. I add minimal supplements: salmon oil 3x weekly, eggs 3x weekly, Bug off Garlic & joint supps for my older dog. All you do is put the bowl on a scale, tare it, scoop it then feed. I do use some beef rib bones & necks as well for dental care.

#77205 Report Abuse
    Dori

Chuck. I’m wondering if you’ve checked out Darwin’s on Amazon. They only sell it in variety packs but the shipping is free regardless of the size of the variety packs. As long as your dog doesn’t have any food intolerances with any of the variety packs proteins I feel it’s a good way to do rotation diet. For a raw diet I’ve never thought it was particularly expensive, or should I say any more expensive, than any other commercial raw frozen. It was the shipping that made it unaffordable as far as I was concerned. All other frozen raws that I feed I can purchase locally so I didn’t care for the shipping fees.

#77219 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori,
    I’m glad I found the met-up I’m using now….depending on what the proteins are, I pay $5.10-$5.75 for two pound chubs!
    Darwins aure has gone up in pric from back when I used it

#77224 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yeah, Marie. Prices are really crazy. They’ve gone up in price way more than any of the other commercial raw foods that I use in rotation. Unfortunately, and I know this is incredibly hard to believe, there are no raw food co-ops anywhere in my area. I’ve searched on line thinking I’d be willing to drive an hours or so away but, nope, none to be had. I don’t know how I would feed my three if they weren’t toy breeds.

#77226 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori,
    There’s a list on DogAware; have you checked there? I drive 40min or so one way for the meetup. It’s every 6 weeks…..no minimum but a $10 fee thats for gas. I just ordered yesterday for this Sunday’s meetup: 30lbs for $88 (including the $10 fee). It is just about the same cost if I fed a kibble of my choice. The only downside is that her mixes that have bone are all a mix of proteins. Not a problem for me but we have a puppy expected early next year; I’ll be buying single proteins from Hare til I make sure he/she does ok with each one.

#77227 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thx Marie. I’ll check out DogAware. There’s only one place that I came across in Georgia but it goes back to 2012 and no info since then. Even at that time you were only allowed to go on a waiting list. Periodically I do a search on line again and keep asking friends but so far no one knows of any.

#77228 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Puppy, Marie? You didn’t tell me anything about a puppy. 😉

#77233 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

DF: Longhaired whippet! I am having a hard time, another breeder has two available right now but i’m trying to hold out for my breeder of choice. She anticipates a litter being born in December.

#77900 Report Abuse
    Chuck
    Participant

Thanks for the information, I ended up doing another month of Darwin’s until I can figure it out. How do you like Reel Raw? are you using their pre-measured service? I live in Florida so I like the idea of free shipping as all of these companies seem to be located in the NE.

If you order from Reel Raw pre-measured is that a complete diet? (similar to darwins patties) and does Hare today have something similar, all I seem to see is individual meats?

Also what is actually a “meetup”, and how do you actually find one? I live near Tampa, FL.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Chuck.
    #77907 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use a little Reel Raw. I find it fattier than other products. I’ve never used the premeasured service; too costly IMO. I get the ten pounders but to be honest, thawing & re3packaging is a pain in the butt.

If you get grinds with bone, they are complete diets so yes, Hare’s are balanced (assuming you get it with bone). It’s prey model raw in ground form.

If you go to DogAware dog com, search for co-ops and meetups.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.