šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kazimber
    Participant

Hi there! I am new to this site and really like it! I am a dog lover…I have a 9 year old Dachshund who is allergic to most foods. My vet has him on Royal Canine Hypoallergenic but after reading food ratings I really want to switch him to a higher rated brand. I also have an English Bulldog puppy 4 months, on TOTW Pacific Stream but is shedding a lot, actually too much. Any suggestions for my 2 children would be appreciated!

#23281 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Do you know what your Dachshund is actually allergic to? We can’t make a good food suggestion without that. We can explain how to start an elimination diet to figure that out, if you don’t know.

#23334 Report Abuse
    Kazimber
    Participant

Thank you Pattyvaugn for your answer! My Dachshund Homer is actually eating rice, soya protein, hydrolized poultry liver…he seems to be doing really well on this, his skin is shiny and he is not licking, itching that much as before. But I would like to try a food rated higher than Royal Canin. Here is a copy paste of the ingredients in Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR-21 Veterinarian formula:

COMPOSITION: rice, hydrolysed soya protein isolate, animal fats, minerals, hydrolysed poultry liver, beet pulp, soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, fish oil, borage oil, marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 24800 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, E1 (Iron): 40 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3 mg, E4 (Copper): 11 mg, E5 (Manganese): 53 mg, E6 (Zinc): 202 mg – Preservatives – Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 21% – Fat content: 19% – Crude ash: 8.4% – Crude fibres: 1% – Per kg: EPA/DHA: 3.4 g – Essential fatty acids: 47 g.

I have tried giving him the TOTW grain free Pacific Stream which is salmon and potato the past month and his skin got really bad, tons of shedding and itching and kind of little dry pimples all over. I had to put him back on Royal Canin. So definitely salmon is not for him. I think maybe chicken and rice would be ok with him. Any suggestions?

I also have my puppy Bulldog on TOTW Pacific Stream and he is doing good but also wanted a second choice since I’ve heard about their recalls and to have some also. Suggestions for him would be appreciated!

#23336 Report Abuse
    Kazimber
    Participant

sorry I skipped a few words,

I also have my 4 months puppy EBulldog on TOTW Pacific Stream and he is doing good but also wanted a second choice since Iā€™ve heard about their plant recalls and to have some variety in his meals also. I have read about how dogs develop allergies after staying forever with the same protein source. Suggestions for him would be appreciated!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.