Cutting feeding costs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Cutting feeding costs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cyndi

Hi everyone, I need the expert raw feeder’s help please. I’ve had Bailey on a complete raw diet for almost 8 months now. I get her meat/grinds and rmb’s exclusively from Hare Today and my local butcher. I don’t have anywhere to get really good deals on stuff. Anyways, my question is, can anyone give me some cost cutting ideas? I get the chicken backs and turkey necks from my butcher and the meat and organ grinds and rabbit and duck pieces and necks from Hare Today. I could cut out the rabbit and duck, but does anyone have any suggestions for me to be able to keep the variety I feed, but do it cheaper. I’m wondering if I incorporate canned wet food or kibble? I don’t know, any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Starting the first of the year I have to pay over $100/month for stupid health insurance. & I have dental bills that are over $50/month for a while. I am working a second job, basically to keep Bailey fed the way I’ve been feeding her, but paying out that extra $150/month is gonna hurt.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions…

#30409 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Just wanted to bump up my post for easier viewing/responses. 🙂

#30414 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Do you have freezer space to take advantage of sales? I bought 4 turkeys at $0.58/lb, 4 pork butts and $0.79/lb, ground beef at $1.79/lb. I have my sister watching out for sales on meat for me, because she’s better at seeing them than I am.

#30454 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Patty! I have a little extra freezer, besides my regular freezer space, so I have some extra space, not a whole lot, but thats a good idea. I’ll have to check arou nd & see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion.

#30457 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you know any hunters, they usually do a freezer clean out right before hunting season so they will have room for fresh meat. Just get the word out that you will help. They can’t legally sell the meat, but you can offer “gas” money.

#30461 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The initial cost of getting 2 or 3 freezers (if you have space) is expensive but it would allow you to order in bulk and stock up on sale items or order quantities by the case if you’re in a raw feeding group that does bulk orders or buying from a restaurant supplier. I often feed other things besides raw. Mine will get raw with canned or freeze dried or with some kibble even. Also look for the meats that are at the sell-by date. They’re marked down. You might compare the price of Merrick/Natures Logic/Hound Gatos rabbit and duck formulas to Hare Today. Also Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance has a rabbit and goat formulas. Maybe you could use those for toppers to lessen the raw amounts. Again, I don’t know how they would compare to the prices from Hare Today.

#30462 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Patty! I do know a couple hunters, not really that well though, but I’ll talk to them and see what they say.

& Thanks Sandy! I don’t have the space or the money for another freezer. The little one I bought a little while back is about the best I could do. I will look into the other foods you suggested though. I’ve been doing a lot of figuring and price comparing lately.

#30585 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

My brother-in-law and nephew recently got a couple of deer and you should’ve seen the look on their faces when I asked if they saved the internal organs by chance. My BIL was so disappointed that when he field dressed the deer, he left all the good stuff that Sam and Bella would’ve loved to have eaten. He knew I fed them raw sometimes, but didn’t even think about it.

Also, Cyndi, have you talked to Tracy at Hare Today about ideas she might have for helping you reduce your costs. I know, and am sure you already do as well, that there’s a price break for shipping (ie: 25 pounds); but I also wondered if there might be such as thing as her giving a certain percentage of discount for an order over a certain size ~ like Darwin’s does. It might require less frequent (and more costly orders), but a savings over time.

#30653 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I can only imagine the look on their faces, lol! I’ll look into that with Hare Today. That’s a good idea. Thank you!

#30663 Report Abuse

Look around for a slaughter/meat processing plant in your area. I have found two. One is organic and I buy most of my stuff there for under $1 a pound. Downside is I take whatever they have that week..sometimes its all beef, sometimes poultry and I now have the largest size chest freezer I could find full of assorted pieces/parts. I have waaaaay to much liver and spent a full day boiling/drying a lot into treats and still have more to go. I fill in the gaps with store bought. I use tinned sardines $1 a can and canned salmon and oysters which I bought in bulk on sale. I still feed 50percent dry, can or dehydrated.

#30686 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Melissa, I’ll check around for one. Not sure there are any in my area, but we’ll see. Thanks for the suggestion…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.