šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    anne a

Recently heard about”Petbrosia” customized to your pets age,size etc from a company from Ohio -it is any good & how does it rate . I am feeding Orijen six fish

#54822 Report Abuse

I looked into it as few months ago. Google for reviews. From what I could tell its not as custom as you would think. One article/review I read said its actually severa l base formulas

#54827 Report Abuse
    anne a

Thx , I did read several google reviews & was conflicting depending on who wrote it. You are right just from reading their website , I figured it cant be “all that” -sticking w/ my six fish Orijen rotation.

#54830 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Speaking of custom pet food, I tried the purina versions website. Load of crap. Change your answers around, not much changes. Full of all the same purina junk, with an even higher price tag than usual. I’d be interested to see how many suckers fell for it

#54832 Report Abuse
    Dori

I also looked into Petbrosia. From what I can tell from their web site they really only have two foods chicken and grain free salmon. Not sure if they are then suggesting that they can customize those two formulas by adding or eliminating ingredients. They didn’t give me a clear feel for what the customization is for the formula before ordering the food. I’d need to know before ordering since one of my girls has many food issues. Didn’t quite understand and am wondering if some of this is marketing.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Dori.
    #54839 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I looked at it for Micah back when I started figuring him out and they had nothing he could have and I couldn’t find anywhere where they were actually willing to customize anything.

#54849 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Petbrosia (dog version) has two base formulas. You cannot take ingredients out of the formulas. They just tweak the amount of each one for your dogs weight, age and activity requirements. For instance, if Hazel is young with no allergies then her nutrition profile for the grain free salmon might be 32 % protein and 16 % fat and 2 % fiber with calories of say 480 a cup while Laverne, who is older and has some mild allergies might have protein of 26 %, fat of 13 % and fiber of 2 % with 415 calories per cup. The ingredient panel reads the same ingredient list for both dogs. So……long story short, you can’t really customize ingredient wise. They will just change percentages of each ingredient to fit your dogs supposed needs. I hope that makes it a little clearer. Imho, it is a little misleading with their marketing. I think it’s a decent food and average price compared to foods like Orijen, Wellness, etc. But, don’t go into it thinking you are going to get an individualized food ingredient wise.

#54852 Report Abuse
    anne a

Thank you all! As several said you can change ingredients,it is a decent pet foodbut definitely misleading if you are sucked into it & I am not liking some of the basic ingredients in Petbrosia -I am sticking w/my rotation of Orijen six fish/Nutrisca Sal & chickpea/Acana Pacifica/Fromm Tunalina/Merrick GF Sal. Will try Dr Tims next month GF Kinesis as recommended here.

#54860 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

out of curiosity, why only fish?

#54865 Report Abuse
    anne a

Hi, because of the omega 3 & I am vegan -lower on the food chain. I realize pets need to eat animal protein & this is the best I can do!

#54868 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Just understand that the oils in fish based foods start to oxidize very quickly and it is supposedly worse, for the dog, than other types of oil oxidizing.

#54882 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

We recently stopped feeding pet food fish b/c of the rancidity factor that BCnut refers to and also the ethoxyquin.
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

You could use a pre-mix with fresh fish, canned sardines if you can’t bring yourself to feed other types of animals, and alternate with some veg meals (humane certified eggs, veg pet food, etc).

You can also buy the highest humanely rated meats (already prepared or raw) at Whole Foods and use with a pre-mix. If you can’t deal with the preparation aspect, Primal and Answers pet food are certified by the Global Animal Partnership…the same system used by Whole Foods that rates humane conditions and certifies feed gmo-free. And there are hopefully more out there I don’t know about.

Some companies use pasture raised and pasture finished so no factory farms or feed lots, like Healthy Pet Products, Stella and Chewys and Dogs for the Earth.
    Dogs for the Earth raises their chickens above and beyond humane guidelines. Generally pet foods with wild boar/bison are free range too. Just some options you may want to consider.

#54908 Report Abuse
    anne a

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.