šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Claire S
    Participant

Hi there! My dog was diagnosed with crystals in her urine back in July of 2020. Per vet recommendation, we put her Royal Canin Urinary SO, which cleared them up within a couple months, and so we decided to move her back to her original food. Fast forward to a few months ago, my dog has crystals in her urine again. The vet recommends she goes back on the Urinary SO and to stay on it long term, since she has a history of crystals developing. Basically, my dog has been eating this food for months now and is all of a sudden incontinent (leaking pee while in a deep sleep.) I am aware that this food has poor nutrition and has a history of fixing one problem but causing others. I have been testing the PH of her urine everyday to make sure it stays in a good range.. overall, I am so lost because there is so much to debate when it comes to dog foods! My questions are would I be okay to rotate her food? A high quality, nutritious one every couple months and then the Urinary SO for a little while, etc? Or is there a food out there that can keep the crystals and stones at bay, while also giving her great nutrition? Does anyone recommend any good dog foods? Or what ingredients to avoid/look for considering she has urinary problems? any feedback or tips about any of this is greatly appreciated!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Claire S.
    #172860 Report Abuse
    Claire S
    Participant

Ooops they are Struvite Crystals btw!

#172896 Report Abuse
    Tammie B
    Participant

I give my baby an all natural, holistic supplement. I have more info if you’d like.

#172897 Report Abuse
    Claire S
    Participant

Yes, please I would love more info!

#172920 Report Abuse
    Tammie B
    Participant

Hi, this is a rather in depth video, but crystals and stones are the first topic. Please feel free to reach out to me via fb with any questions or concerns. My Harley had a UTI and as a senior, started leaking. Unfortunately we discovered this because he sleeps with us and waking up to a wet bed is no fun. I started giving him the Bladder Support and no more leaks! He gets it everyday. I have a friend who’s baby had crystals, and haven’t had any issues since starting the bladder support. Here’s a link to the video I mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/117246353015706/videos/2876111409326853

#172923 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Claire,

My understanding is that struvite crystals are quite common and a normal finding in dogs which do not require any specific treatment. They are a concern there is a history of sterile struvite stone formation. which is very rare. Most struvite stones form secondary to infection and my understanding is diet will not prevent urinary infection or stone formation secondary to infection.

“Struvite crystalluria occurs in greater than 50% of healthy dogs, including animals without urinary tract infections”https://www.dvm360.com/view/stones-vs-crystals-management-and-prevention-proceedings

Since leaking urine at night is a new sign consider checking for infection or presence of other contributing factors or causes.

I would consider SO to be a high quality nutritious food

#172924 Report Abuse
    Claire S
    Participant

Thank you all so much! I will look into this now.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Claire S.
    #172932 Report Abuse
    Susan C
    Participant

What food were you feeding when your dog developed the struvite crystals please ? I hope you can find answers and solutions. ❤️

#182269 Report Abuse
    Deborah H
    Participant

My dog had surgery to remove struvite stones. Five months later she had second surgery to remove the same. Urine culture revealed staph infection and she is now on longterm antibiotics. We have tried the prescription diets but she hates them. Can anyone share a homemade recipe for dogs with history of struvite stones?

#188343 Report Abuse
    Eric S
    Participant

Hi, so we’re in the same boat with Struvite crystals. Looking at the ingredients of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Urinary SO, I see the first 6 include: Brewers Rice, Corn, Chicken Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice Flour… This seems like crappy food for our dogs. So, is this the best bet for dogs with crystals? Please advise on what you’re using. We have a two year old Golden Doodle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.