🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

My dog was just diagnosed with crystals in her urine. She does not have an infection but my vet suggested changing her to Royal Canin SO. I always try to feed my dogs the very best I can afford. Currently they’re on a grain free diet of a mix of Wellness CORE and Canadae Pure Elements kibble with a little grain free canned and fresh chicken mixed in. I hate the ingredients of the SO – corn, rice, etc. Plus Jada has allergies and the grain free diet seems to help with that, along with fish oil supplement and sometime a Benedryl. Any suggestions for a diet other than what she’s receiving and in place of the SO?

#23017 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Is it struvite? The presence of crystals is undesirable, but not detrimental if there is no active urinary tract infection. A UTI can result in crystals forming into stones. What was the pH?

#23018 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

I guess I was a little premature in posting. I’m picking up the vet’s report today and I’ll post that later.

#23021 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Ok. My dogs see a holistic vet. They have some struvite but are not symptomatic of any kind of infection. I give them urinary health supplements and they continue with their regular diet.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #23026 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

Where do you get the supplements? Are they available online? I’d also read that giving cranberry, Vit C and probiotics can help.

#23029 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

This might be easier for you: http://www.wysong.net/products/ph-dog-cat-supplement.php (Wysong Biotic pH-)

I shop mostly online but also get items at the health food store. I give d-mannose or other cranberry herbal product, Garden of Life Raw C or Mercola liposomal C, and Bragg apple cider vinegar or Flea Free Supplement (garlic and vinegar). And they take probiotics and colostrum. If their pH does not become more acidic, then I will give a dl-methionine product instead (Wysong Biotic pH-).

#23030 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

Thank you for the great information. I’ll go online later and order some of those. I’ll repost Jada’s test results when I get back home tonight. Thanks, again, for all of your help!!

#23033 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

In addition to what Sandy said, it’s important to make sure your dog gets enough liquid. If you’re using kibble, add canned plus warm water to it. Try a dehydrated food such as the Honest Kitchen. Make sure your dog has plenty of opportunity to urinate.

#23071 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

Unfortunately the vet didn’t call today and so I wasn’t able to get a copy of the lab results. I always add some canned food to Jada’s kibble anyway because she’s kind of a fussy eater and I add a little fresh boiled chicken on top as well. Also include some broth or water. Currently I feed Jada Wellness Core grain-free. Plus, she has access to the back yard most of the day except for nighttime so that is not a problem. I’m anxious to see just what the lab results are and hopefully I’ll be able to pick them up tomorrow. Thanks for your help, too, Inkedmarie 🙂

#23073 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I don’t see why you couldn’t get the urine results right away. I get mine before I leave the clinic. I get a basic urinalysis, not a send out lab.

#23074 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

I live in a very small town in southwest Utah and there is only one veterinarian. Coming originally from Chicago it’s a far cry from getting results right away. I will go to their office tomorrow to pick up a copy.

#23102 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

I finally got the results. pH is 8.5, Protein 1+, struvite crystals: 2-3, Amorphous Phosphate crystals: 2-3m, no bacteria, no UTI.

#23119 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

When my dog had struvite crystals, my vet recommended on 500mg Vitamin C per day. Did your vet recommend that? The only other thing I had to do was make sure he got alot of liquid which I explained and ample opportunity to urinate.

#23122 Report Abuse
    ILoveDogs
    Participant

I questioned my vet about supplemental Vitamin C, cranberry, and probiotics and he agreed that all could help. Since this is such a small town, I’ve decided to put Jada on the S.O. short-term and also add Vit C, cranberry and probiotics that I’ll order online. Then in about 8-10 weeks I’m going to take her to one of the larger towns that is 1 to 1-1/2 hours away that has larger veterinary practices and have her tested again and hopefully be able to get better advice on her condition. I love living in this beautiful small town but the downside is limited care for my pets, as well as for me. Thanks for your support and suggestions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.