Could it be the Fromm?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Could it be the Fromm?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BRT

Back again, here’s a link to my original post.

/forums/topic/help-with-diarrhea-issues/

After negative stools samples, but an overgrowth of bacteria my boy still had tummy issues. He finished 10 days of metronidazole and was on canned W/D from the vet. I slowly started introducing the Fromm kibble back into his diet. Even while on the meds his poop really didn’t firm up it was more formed, but soft (hard to pick up).

I’m now wondering if the kibble isn’t agreeing with him. He doesn’t have to poop several times a day. This morning he didn’t eat breakfast and when I went home for lunch he was perky and back to himself. He didn’t have to poop either.

We’re going back to the vet on Friday, but wanted to reach out here to see if anyone has had a negative experience with Fromm. My boy doesn’t have a sensitive stomach and it’s been a chore to find the right kibble for him. Previously, he was on NB Venison and Sweet Potato before I switched him to Fromm Grain Free Game Bird.

Thanks!

#27766 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

/forums/topic/fromm-dog-food-dangers/#post-27752

#27767 Report Abuse
    BRT

Thank you so much for this link!!! The bacteria overgrowth is exactly what we’ve been going through with my maltese/toy poodle. The confusing part is that my other boy, a 2 year old shih Tzu/yorkie hasn’t had any problems at all.

I also saw your post on another thread about doing probiotics for two weeks after they finish the metrodanizole (sp?). I feeding him the canned W/D now and will continue to add Fortiflora once a day.

#27770 Report Abuse
    BRT

I did so much research and ultimately ended up with Fromm. Now, I don’t know what to do because it seems like I need to switch them yet again. I was so hopeful with Fromm….

#27772 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Your other dog likely didn’t have an issue because for whatever reason his gut is healthier and already had a wider variety of beneficial bacterial to help battle the ********. While Fortiflora is more likely to have a guaranteed number of the probiotics that it contains, it only contains a very limited number of strains. Try giving your dog some kefir, you’ll find it in the yogurt aisle, or a human probiotic with as many different strains as possible.

#27798 Report Abuse
    BRT

Thanks for the tips. Looking to switch to Regal Venison. Will pick up some kefir this weekend. How much should I give them? They are both around 18 lbs.

My dog that’s currently having the issues has always had tummy issues and skin allergies. I feel like there’s something going on with him at least once a year. He’s 8 years old.

My other little guy is our 2 year old rescue. Healthy as can be. 🙂

Thanks!

#27802 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

2 teaspoons, maybe up to a tablespoon, if they handle it well. It goes good in smoothies, or you can freeze it into icecubes to use later, though after freezing it isn’t quite the same, but my dogs love it.

#27807 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Has he eaten duck kibbles before? Mine both have some digestive problems with duck and I know Fromm uses a lot of duck ~ the one you’re using included.

#27841 Report Abuse
    BRT

The mysterious thing is that I switched them over to this formula over the summer. Now, he cannot tolerate chicken at all, so I try to stay away from that. He was doing well on the Fromm Game Bird until exactly one month ago.

I’m looking at the Regal Venison Bites. It’s not grain free, but I don’t know what else to do. I don’t want to give him the Fromm again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.