šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sam Koch

Now when I watch my two dogs at home they do not eat their poop. Apparently my mom has seen it more to actually say something, though.
    We have two Chihuahuas about 4 lbs each. They get Merricks Grain Free Limited Ingredient food, they like the salmon.
    I really want to go get them checked for everything–like bloodwork, fecal, and urine tests but my mom doesn’t want to do it because she thinks it’s unnecessary.
    When we feed them we go by tablespoons and just keep offering until they walk away. They don’t eat in the morning so we started feeding them only at night, and they only eat about 3-4 tbsp. I really want them to eat more but they just won’t.
    I just need suggestions. I wish I could just take them to the vet but I don’t have any money at the moment.
    Sam

#75038 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

It’s a nasty habit some dogs develop
    http://www.dogpoopdiet.com/why-dogs-eat-poop/#more-278
    “If your dog eats poop, you should make sure itā€™s not because of a health issue. Some dogs will start eating poop when they arenā€™t absorbing enough nutrients, they have parasites, or they have issues with their pancreas. All coprophagic dogs should be examined by a veterinarian”.

The only cure I have found for it is to follow them around and when they do their business, scoop it up or bag it immediately. Out of sight, out of mind. After a while they stop turning around to look for it, some dogs outgrow it.

All pet owners should take their pets for an annual checkup if possible, heartworm check etc. Often you can negotiate with the vet which tests and vaccinations are unnecessary, especially after you develop a relationship with one.
    Senior wellness checks at about age 7 are important.

#75040 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Red is right and also some vet’s (mine did this) do cut you a deal with tests. I went in to have a fine needle aspirate done on a lump on my dog and she only charged me for the meds to clear it up. For that reason amoung others do I keep going back.

If you take Red’s advice and kind of talk to them about which tests are needed and which aren’t they might get the hint that you are on a tight budget, but you are deeply concerned about this new behavior.

#75041 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

@pitlove,
    Thanks, I have learned some of these things the hard way.

PS: To the OP, is your mom a senior? Some veterinary clinics offer senior discounts.
    Don’t be afraid to ask.

#75058 Report Abuse
    ed s

Its a deficiency in vitamin or mineral. Dog food is sterilized since it comes from different sources so they add all vitamins anf minerals and most are synthetic and will not get absorbed. Try feeding him cooked or raw organ meats and raw or cooked meat his poop will be 75% smaller since there is no fillers and extra toxins.

#75065 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

My mom is not a senior. I think I will take them to the vet by myself and just see what they would like to do. Do I need to switch foods if it’s not a health issue?

#75066 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Wait and see what the vet advises, if anything. I have a 15 year old small breed who will do this even now, if he has the opportunity.
    I scoop/bag discard immediately. Problem solved šŸ™‚
    He recently had a senior workup, lab work, parasite check, etc, There is nothing wrong with him.
    Like I said, sometimes it is just a learned nasty habit.
    It is not unusual, but you have to watch them and intervene. Don’t scold or make a fuss, just quickly pick up the feces as soon as it hits the ground and discard. Break the habit.

#75072 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

My dog would love to get a piece of the cat poop if I let him. We have to kennel him when we aren’t home for that reason and the chewing. I have to clean her litter box very often to prevent him from having anything to look for.

So ya Red is on it again. That is the only way pretty much (that I’ve seen) to stop it. I switch my dogs food a lot because I feed a rotational diet and he still likes the cat poop. I have heard a lot from behaviorists about it being learned from their mothers who will eat the poop after she has a litter to keep the area clean. It’s possible some dogs retain that habit I suppose. That is just conjecture though. I’m no dog psychologist.

#75073 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

A dog owner once told me that cat feces to a dog is like what caviar is to a human. Lol
    A delicacy.

#75075 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Ha that explains it! A doggie delicacy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.