🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dori

Has anyone else read this article on Susan Thixton’s Truth About Pet Foods site regarding the dangers of copper sulfate in dog food and how it relates to your dogs liver. I would assume it matter how much is actually in the food (would vary from batch to batch) and , of course, if you are solely feeding that food. Very interesting. Thought everyone should be made aware. Any thoughts?

A Veterinarian Takes a Stand Against a Common Pet Food Supplement

#64238 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Is that different from copper proteinate and copper amino acid chelate?

#64243 Report Abuse
    Dori

The difference with copper sulfates and copper proteinate and copper amino acid chelated is that copper sulfates are inorganic. Copper proteinate and copper amino acid chelated are organic and, therefore, better absorbed by the body. Copper sulfates are not chelated. As stated on DFA by Dr. Mike, chelated minerals are usually found in the better dog foods.

#64247 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Definitely keeping Nature’s Logic in my rotation.

#64250 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yep! Me too!!!

#64256 Report Abuse

I need to check all my bags of dog food that i have here to see if it’s listed. Thanks for posting that Dori!

#64259 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

What about copper proteinate? Is that similar? It’s in the Nulo dry food I have been giving Lily.

#64283 Report Abuse

@Dog Obsessed, I have the same thing in the NVI.

#64295 Report Abuse
    Dori

Dog Obsessed and Hater and Molly’s Mom. I answered earlier up on the post to neezerfan. Copper Sulfate is inorganic. Copper Proteinate and Copper Amino Acid Chelated are organic and, therefore, better absorbed by the body. Dr. Mike states that usually the better dog foods will contain the organic (chelated) forms.

#64300 Report Abuse

Thank you Dori!

#64302 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks!

#64305 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Copper is an essential mineral for dogs, cats, humans — and all living things, for that matter.

So, you’ll almost always find some form of copper on a dog food label. That’s because in order to legally claim the product is “complete and balanced” for nutritional adequacy, a dog food must contain sufficient copper to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles.

According to the official 2015 AAFCO publication, a dog food must contain at least 7.5 mg of copper per each kilogram of dog food (on a dry matter basis, of course).

However, any mineral (even sodium) can be toxic in excessive amounts. The maximum for copper as published by AAFCO is currently 250 mg.

Because some compounds of copper have such poor bioavailability for dogs, AAFCO does not permit its oxide form (like copper oxide, cupric oxide, etc.) to be used to meet the association’s official nutrient profiles.

So, manufacturers must use copper sulfate or a chelated form of the mineral such as copper proteinate (or copper complexed with an amino acid or polysaccharide).

The personal interest (lay) article mentioned by Susan Thixton that was published in The Battle Creek (Michigan) Enquirer appears to base its warnings on a hypothesis proposed by one well-meaning veterinarian.

And his “theory” is certainly worthy of further investigation.

However, until a scientific study that addresses the specific topic of copper sulfate toxicity in dogs can be referenced, I would suggest to those concerned to avoid the hysteria about these recent claims.

Please read this pet food industry article about copper sulfate written by a respected animal nutritionist, Dr. Greg Aldrich of Kansas State University for a more enlightening and scientific explanation.

Hope this helps.

#64308 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for the clarification! I know that Nature’s Logic food does not contain any synthetic vitamins, I just checked and there food does not appear to contain any form of copper. Is this why it is questionable whether or not it actually meets nutritional standard?

#64309 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hater and Molly’s Mom and Dog Obsessed: Your very welcome. Glad I could be of help! 🙂

#64400 Report Abuse
    Richard B

Is this something that would spark in the microwave? Indicating copper sulfate in the wet food?

Thanks,

Rick

#64404 Report Abuse
    Dori

I have no idea whether it would spark in the microwave, but I doubt it very much. May I ask, why you would be heating it in the microwave? It would be better for you to gently warm up the food in a plastic baggie seating in a bit of warm water. Heating the food at high temperatures including the microwave has the potential of diminish nutrients in the food. IMHO.

#64405 Report Abuse
    Dori

Richard B. If you go over to the comments side and scroll down a bit, Chad M. posted a site that talks about high mineral counts in some vegetables and how they may spark in a microwave. Apparently he was having some sparking issues with a food in his microwave and did further research and answered his own question. Hope this helps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.