đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Amelia E

I’ve just started making dog food and am playing around with various recipes. Has anyone blended poached salmon (including bones and skin)? I’m thinking that I won’t have trouble with the bones if it’s well blended but not sure.

Also, does anyone blend their veggies or do you feed whole?

#97485 Report Abuse
    chris h

I just got a puppy and I’m trying the raw diet for his second week with me. So far so good. His stomach has adjusted to the meals and he’s plowing through cut up chicken like a champ. I’ve been feeding him sardines for an omega 3 addition. It’s working well and he handles the bones fine.

I wouldn’t worry about the bones. I’d feed it whole, just due to the fact that it’s less work for you. Your dog should be able to handle it. If you feel uncomfortable with bones then you can stand by and watch.

What veggies? 🙂

#97510 Report Abuse
    elaine c

there is one salmon you should not be feeding! But I can’t remember which one it is… google it.

#107617 Report Abuse
    Jennie J

I live in Alaska and have been jar canning salmon bones skin and tails for my Pekingese for 8 years and during the canning process the bones become so soft they dissolve and are no danger to them or us. If you can fish I do not vouch for any other fish as to I have never canned anything but Alaskan salmon.

#108276 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

I would not risk it. Just give him the salmon and discard the bones.

#108278 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/salmon-poisoning (excerpt below, click on link for full article)
    This information is not meant to be a substitute for veterinary care. Always follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian. 
    Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills. 
    Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning. 
    “Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says  Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.” 
    Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.

#108279 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Anon101-I think she is cooking the salmon first (poaching) but agree with you feeding raw fish is no good.

Although I do indulge in sushi grade sashimi, which once in a full moon I give to my dog and myself. But I get this from a reputable Japanese restaurant that knows how long and at what temperature to freeze their fish.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Cannoli.
    #108281 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

I forgot to mention. Invest in a slow cooker. This time of year you can get good deals. I have cooked whole birds and fish for 20hrs in them. After 20 hrs most bones have turned into mush

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.