🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    olive1015

I’ve seen homemade recipes using GARLIC and am concerned that I’m getting conflicting information on the topic. Anyone have good SOLID info that it is not harmful to dogs?

According to a list I found – Animal Poison Control Center
    GARLIC is – Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are of the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about five times as potent as onions. Certain breeds and species seem to be more sensitive: Japanese breeds of dogs (e.g., Akita, Shiba Inu) and cats. Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea).

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate
    Common signs to watch for:
    •Drooling
    •Nausea
    •Oral irritation
    •Vomiting
    •Diarrhea
    •Lethargy
    •Abdominal pain
    •Elevated heart rate and respiratory rate
    •Weakness
    •Exercise intolerance
    •Collapse
    •Pale gums

#76520 Report Abuse
    Kate L

Recently, my pug ate some chopped onion off the floor that I had dropped cooking dinner. . .maybe just a sliver or 2. The next morning he passed the onion in a bout of bloody diarrhea. However, he didn’t act sick and by the next poop, he was fine. . .no more diarrhea. So YES, onion is bad. Garlic is added in small quantities even to the high end dog food. I think a lot of fresh garlic would be bad but I don’t think the amounts people put in commercial pet food is bad. I never put it in my home made dog food.

#76533 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Olive,
    I cannot remember the exact amount but dogs would need to injest huge amounts of garlic for it to be dangerous. I use Bug Off Garlic for flea/tick control.

#76563 Report Abuse
    olive1015

Kate/Marie – I suspected as much. I usually roast mine or even boil it first, since it makes me gassy if I overdue 🙂 If she gets any I’ll make sure it’s just for flavor. THANK YOU…both.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.